Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the list thanks for all of the help.. Ok I have decided to go with PPG b/c c/c... I have a few more questions. First, I will be in a cool garage (winter in western NC!)

I have used Martin senior etching and Tec Primer up to this point? will I have a problem switching over to PPG?
I have sanded the car down to 400 grit and it is all a uniform color (tan) should I still use a sealer? If so What?

I will be painting the camaro red
Should I go with DBU (cheaper) or DBC ?
And last but not least 2042 or 2035 dimond clear ?..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would defintley use a sealer, you will have to ask your PPG dealer what would work best. I would also use the DBC it is much easier to use and covers faster. As far as the clear goes I think the 2042 is a spot clear that would dry to fast. I would use the 2002 clear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i would use a sealer but i would be careful about putting it on to heavy ppg has a urethane sealer. i would not use epoxy.i have not used 2035 clear as far as 2042 goes i have painted many completes with it i'm from minnesota and 2042 works well for completes except in summer.dbu is and old basecoat it has a enamel base so it dries slower. dbc dries faster thats why i recomend it over dbu and like someone else said it does not cover as well. what i do on cars i want to look nice is put on a couple coats of color let it dry over night wetsand with 600 or 8oo grit that lets paint dry good and knocks out the dust nubs giving you a nice smooth base for the rest of the job. you have to scuff all the base before recoating it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in NY and just painted my 49 suburban with DBC and 2021. For a sealer I've been using DP and mixing it 2 to 1 and .5 DT reducer, works great and you can tint it to match your base

1 - 4 of 4 Posts