Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a B&M ratchet shifter that I got off ebay on my 74 torino with a 3spd FMX. The install went fine and all the gears shift well. I like to shift the trans like it's a manual valve body, and you can't downshift from 3rd to 1st in one motion on the shifter, you have to ratchet into 2nd and then ratchet into 1st. Has anyone done any mods with a b&m ratchet shifter to make it possible to downshift 3rd straight to 1st? I'm not exactly sure what model the shifter is, so here's a picture of the mechanism.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
That shifter is designed for street or racing application!! Street or strip, So you won't miss second gear on the up shift from first and go right into third!! Its not designed for a 3rd to first shift at a roll !! You bought the wrong shifter for your purpose! if you modify it your defeating its purpose :eek:

Jester

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you pull up on the T-handle, doesn't it allow it to bypass ratchet and go to whatever gear you want?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you pull up on the T-handle, doesn't it allow it to bypass ratchet and go to whatever gear you want?

That would be ideal, but no. The T-handle is locks in neutral and before drive. Looking at the ratchet mechanism, the shifter handle doesn't move positions through 1st gear to drive, so the ratcheting is the only way it shifts. It would definitely take a lot of redesigning to change how it works.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts

No. Pulling up on the handle will allow you to take it out of park and go to D or OD. Also will allow you to go from D or OD to reverse or park.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hurst had one that ratcheted forward and back, and had reverse lockout, but if you pulled up on the shifter it would allow to get to reverse or park, AND allowed you to bypass the ratchet mechanism. Pro stick or something, so it might be able to be modified the same way. I still have that shifter in a 76 Camaro body....I will try to get to the storage spot and look it over for details

1 - 7 of 7 Posts