Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here have one? I need to purchase a shifter for my project and am considering the B&M as an alternative to the Lokar and Gennie. Opinons and comments appreciated.

Bob

·
Registered
164 Posts
Bob,
The best suggestion is to try each of them to see what you like and/or dislike about them. I did that earlier this year and decided on the Lokar shifter. I didn't care for the gated setup in Gennie and B&M.
Good luck,
Ed

·
Registered
50 Posts
B&M Street Rod Shifter

I have a B&M shifter that I took out when I converted to coulmn shift. It was working fine when I took it out and would like to sell it. I have no idea what it is worth if you are interested make me an offer. [email protected]

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
bobscogin said:
Anybody here have one? I need to purchase a shifter for my project and am considering the B&M as an alternative to the Lokar and Gennie. Opinons and comments appreciated.

Bob
I have used the Lokar. Installation was easy and the unit worked very well. The only thing I didn't care for was being limited in my choice of shift knobs. Seems they all need the pushbutton. I recently saw that Speedway offers an adapter for the Lokar shifter to enable the use of any shift knob you desire. I didn't see that before I order my Gennie shifter.

I opted for the Gennie this go round. Installation of this unit was also easy and I like the gated feature. This setup allows a greater choice of shift knobs as no pushbutton is required. The thread size is somewhat small in diameter though but should be OK.

Both units have the neutral lockout switch included.

The only thing about either shifter that I do not like is that either can be up-shifted past DRIVE and directly into NEUTRAL with ease. Not good in my opinion.

I haven't tried the new B&M Shifter yet. It looks very much like the Lokar unit except the shift lever bolts on. I have used some B&M products in the past and like them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't tried the new B&M Shifter yet. It looks very much like the Lokar unit except the shift lever bolts on. I have used some B&M products in the past and like them.[/QUOTE]

The B&M appears to be detented like the Lokar rather than gated like the Gennie Shifter. I haven't seen one, but it appears that to move the stick out of "park" or "neutra"l, you push down on the stick rather than a knob button as in the Lokar.This should mean that you can use any knob. That's the big draw for me. I'm aware of the Lokar adapter that allows the use of other knobs, but it appears to be rather large and bulky. Looks sort of weird when installed on the stick because it disrupts the stick's nice taper.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts