Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright here we go. to day i ran my truck with open headers for about 2 min.then i hooked my exhaust back up and now it back fires when it runs for about 4mins it will start backfiring real bad would the exhasut leak cause this or not thanks guys

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it only does it when its warm. and it does not do it when the exhaust is off and the headers are open. would timing have any thing to do with it

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Did you do anything else before or after exhaust went back on? IE timing with exhaust off?
From your second post it sounds like you took the exhaust back off and say its not popping? Is this correct?
And it worked absolutely fine before you took it off?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Maybe you accidently knocked a plug wire loose and its only making intermittent contact,this would cause a problem like you described.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it did when it was on before but not that loud now it does when its warm and idling can somebody tell me where the plugs go on the cap please thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
i changed the plugs wires arund that made it where it wont start but when it does it dies and backfires. would it being in hei have in difference on the plug wires

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'll assume your dealing with a small block chevy because of your nick name
the plug wire are supposed to go around the cap in a counter clock wise configuration check out this link here

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Looking at top....rotor turns clockwise. Make sure #1 is in the right position......not by the picture, but by checking TDC and aligning cap/wires to it.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Easy way,

Put the mark on the balancer at zero on the timing scale. Take the dist cap off. If the rotor is facing the front of the motor...Great. If it faces the firewall, turn the crankshaft one turn until the mark lines up again......rotor will be facing forward...that is where #1 wire goes on when you put the cap back on. Go around clockwise on the cap with the plug wires 18436572

1 - 20 of 33 Posts