Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lost In The 50's
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1955 Ford Customline with manual steering. The box is bad!!!! Is there a donor car replacement? Does anyone sell replacement boxes? I see some catalogs list various parts for rebuild. I have no idea what parts need to be replaced. Any information would be appreciated. Donor replacement, rebuilt or parts.

Thanks...........Ron

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Watch yourself as a lot of these parts houses send out to be done and jack up the price.
A lot of them send part to the place I'm listing below.
Made that mistake with an old PS Pump and got it back four weeks later from Lares when I had sent the pump to White Post on east coast.

I have used Lares 100's of times over the years and they have always done a great job and with a fast turn around.
Last box cost about $125 for a 71 Vette.

They also have told me in past a lot of the old ford boxes, certain gears are not available and they have a supply of used ones they can use.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

POWER steering gearboxes remanufactured; also manual gearboxes, control valves, cylinders and pumps, over 100,000 sold; limited lifetime warranty. Lares Corporation, 800-888-3975, MN; www.larescorp.com N/A
(copy and paste)

·
Lost In The 50's
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Box Rebuild

Thanks for the information. I contacted Lares and they said they could rebuild it for $275.00 if it was rebuildable. Apparently don't have all the parts to rebuild. They have to see mine first. Kind of iffy!!!!! Lot of work and expense to pull out box and ship not knowing if they can rebuild it. I'll keep their info on file.

Sweet-34

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
There must be a '49 - '56 in some junkyard in Florida - they're the same. I put a '56 with the deep dish wheel in a '53 once upon a time. If I remember, it took all of 2 hours. They are Gemmer rack and sector boxes - and seldom go totally bad unless someone overtightens the adjustment screw.
Dave

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Sweet-34 said:
Thanks for the information. I contacted Lares and they said they could rebuild it for $275.00 if it was rebuildable. Apparently don't have all the parts to rebuild. They have to see mine first. Kind of iffy!!!!! Lot of work and expense to pull out box and ship not knowing if they can rebuild it. I'll keep their info on file.

Sweet-34
LOL!!!!!!!!!
They say that every time I have ever called, not to worry these guys are good and I have never sent a box that they could not fix.

Sent a 57 Gull-wing box once and don't know but guy said its a combination of used Chev and Ford gears now. Worked fine and its not like I would ever bring that up.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Sweet-34 said:
I have a 1955 Ford Customline with manual steering. The box is bad!!!! Is there a donor car replacement? Does anyone sell replacement boxes? I see some catalogs list various parts for rebuild. I have no idea what parts need to be replaced. Any information would be appreciated. Donor replacement, rebuilt or parts.

Thanks...........Ron
Check out the www.y-blocksforever.com website I am sure there is some good tech help there.Good Luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts