Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I have a 1979 chevy pickup with a 350. I have headers backed by tru duals and flowmaster 40's all the way back. I recently bought a balance crossover pipe kit from summit to make my exhaust sound better and to balance the exhaust pulses. I installed it approx. 3 1/2 feet away from the header collectors. I hear it should be within 2 feet of the collector or the hottest spot(spray paint trick). I wasn't able to install it closer to the collectors, because it would block the tranny pan. It would be a pain to change tranny filter and fluid. So the closest was by the tail end of the tranny. Now my exhaust sounds kinda throaty or raspy. It made the noise in the cab louder. And my acceleration isn't as good, although could be my carb(its been actin up lately). So my question is: Is this balance pipe to far back from the collectors to have any benefits? any comments of suggestions are appreciated. thanks, MARK

P.S. sorry this is so long

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
on my 77 Olds the cross over pipe is behind the tranny pan and sounds fine. mines prob 2 1/2' or so behind the manifolds. power seems fine. I pulled the stock single pipe & catalytic converter off and added 2" duals with a cross over pipe & glass packs. mine is true 2" duals off the exhaust manifolds to a set of glasspacks then 2" to the rear bumper. the crossover stops the glass packs from the kackling/poping sound, actually it sounds real solid for glass packs. the cross over is to balance the exhaust back pressure, any preformace value would be very small amount. with it being back a bit to far it should not make it run bad or run enough noticeably different in a bad way on a mild street 350 than b4 installing it. on a high horse power motor it might be a small preformace gain. your talking about it only being 12" to 18" back to far. now it might change the sound, but I'm guessing the sound would of changed if it was moved up 12 to 18". imo it's location should not of made any noticeably change in acceleration that you would notice.

Mustangsaly

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone ever had a (H pipe) balance pipe intalled far back like mine? With this balance pipe on my truck, it makes it sound like i have a giant hole in my muffler, real raspy. also, thanks mustangsaly for the info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
markzepp820 said:
anyone ever had a (H pipe) balance pipe intalled far back like mine? With this balance pipe on my truck, it makes it sound like i have a giant hole in my muffler, real raspy. also, thanks mustangsaly for the info.
have you checked the welds on that H pipe?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
A balance pipe will make the exhaust quieter and more mellow, and will add lower rpm torque with ZERO effect on hp.
I have heard balance tubes should be roughly 2.3's the size of teh exhaust.

peace
Hog

·
Registered
84 Posts
h/x pipe

I've got some Hooker supercomp headers and the primaries are 21/4 to a 3 inch collector & then down to 2 1/2 pipes to the rear. I know that the big primaries are losing me low end, and the flowmaster 40s are so damn loud, I decided to put an H pipe in, but I could only fit one above the rear end-it's a little quieter & performance wise it's not much if at all....I went with a smaller 2 inch H pipe too. This is a 427 corvette and there's not much choice regarding exhaust issues-I could only find one set of headers that fit the car, other than side pipes. I think my solution would be to build a 496 or a 540 to match the primaries.. :evil:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.