Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 51 Stude Trk and I am staying w/original steering! My question is the steering bar runs from my steering box to right wheel. All I have to do is put each side of the joint up and through the hole. It is a pretty tight fit, how do I get that in there without hammering it to death and screw something up? How far also should it seat, because it seems that my nut to tighten down doesn't go on very far to accept the cotter! Advise, thanks, Dana

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
The holes should be tapered. The tie rod ends are also tapered. When correctly installed, the threaded portion of the stud will protrude far enough to install a nut or nut and hard washer.

If the tie rod stud does not stick thru far enuff. the stud is too big. Try a different tie rod end.

·
Registered
45 Posts
does the problem exist on both ends of that rod? I have the front end from a 49 Stude and there is a small spacer at the spindle end. this spacer looks to be about 1/8 inch and fits between the tie rod end and the spindle, basically at the top of the boot. it seems to me that this would make your problem worse. Chances are you have the wrong tie rod ends.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, My threaded stud does go far enough thru so to accept a cotter, my steering box side has a little longer space then spindle side but doesn't affect anything! I will just put an extra spacer in there, thanks again, Dana! TERRIFIC SITE as always!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.