Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Nova I've sanded with 180 grit and am ready to apply DPLF Epoxy primer inside and out (wheel tubs, trans tunnel, etc.). How do I prepare the bare metal (with some filled areas) for the primer? PPG recommends their 320 and 330 prep washes, but it seems to me I'd want to use some sort of neutralizer to bare metal to 'kill' micro rust particles that may be embedded in the surface.

Any PPG or bare metal prep guys on here today?

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
There may be some pros on here that will disagree but following the manufacturers recommendations, especially PPG's, has always worked for me. Trying to second guess what may or may not work on any particular manufacturers product sometimes backfires for those of us who are shade-tree painters. Just my $.02.

Centerline

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
68NovaSS said:
I'll definitely use their recommendation, just wondering if anyone had any technique to ensure proper preparation.

Also, can you tell me what the "induction" period means with their products?

Thanks, Larry
Induction means once you mix the two components together you let them set for the amount of induction time that is stated, Say 30 (as example) minutes than you stir again, strain & shoot.
Induction is always used for products that don't like to mix, so it is important to re-stir after the induction time is up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts