Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Apprentice
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently acquired a 67 Nova that was set up for the track, and I am in the process of making it more streetable. It has a Barry Grant 800 Carb on it. Right now the jets in it have been bumped up to I believe 78. I have been searching to find specs on my carb to find what the stock jetting was so I can get them in and have a starting point for tuning, i cannot find anything on the carb at all and i don't have a model #. Below is a pic to help identify. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Take the bowls off and look at what you have for jets and power valves.If you have a problem,what is it?why are you changing anything?Do you or someone you know have a jet board(spare jets)

·
Apprentice
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the bowls off and look at what you have for jets and power valves.If you have a problem,what is it?why are you changing anything?Do you or someone you know have a jet board(spare jets)
I will confirm tonight, I was told they were 78's. Right now it is simply getting too much fuel dumped in, and get's prominent as I adjust the timing. Would like to get it down to a nice idle, not needing 1600 rpms to keep it from stalling out.

Also i do not have access to a jet board.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
make sure your static timing is 16 degrees or so at idle.what coil are you using? I dont see a multi spark unit in your photo?what cam are you using?
when changing jets,go up or down 2 sizes at a time until fine tuning.

·
Apprentice
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the website for Demon carburetors. Click on Tech Support. Demon Fuel Systems - Tech Support
Thanks for the link, but it is not a Demon carb, its older than that. On their site you have to chose what model is on the carb and mine does not have one, it only has hand engraved numbers. Anyone know of any reference to decipher them to know what I have?

It says:
BG

Thanks!

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
Barry built custom Holleys for racing !!! What you have is a custom built Holley by Barry Grant Built around the engine for max performance.

Changing jets wont match the engine build or Idle normal to that cam and compression some builds Idle at 2500 rpm and some at 600rpm perticular to the build. The jetting and power valve are set for the characteristics of that particular eng. unless some one bought it and put it on that eng that it wasn't set up for!!!

His Holleys were great performing carbs he knew his stuff! your lucky to have one!!!

Jester

To make it more streetable you may want to start with a cam change and then tune the carb in!

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
The holley choke horn has been milled off thus you have an increase in CFM as you were told by the last owner stating it was 800 it actualy may be more!!!The Holley list # was on the horn Thats why he etched it on the carb! Barrys a member on this forum or was there have been many changes in the last few months you might try to private message him or maybe he'll see your thread and chime in.

Jester

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
I called a few other carb builders in detroit and received some good info on the #s and the jets. original jets were #74 prim & #84 sec.

The scribed # of #4779-S3 There never was a #4779 8-3!

There were 3 stages #4779S1 ,#4779S2 ,and #4779S3

The S1 was a reworked 750 with the chock horn intact.flowed about 800 for sportsmen class just had a little work.

The S2 was a reworked 750 with the chock horn milled off and flowed about 850

The S3 Which you have is a horn off radius ed and flowed with jet tubes a completely reworked drag carb that flows well over 950 CFM
The other #'s are inconsequential I hope this helps you know what you have:thumbup:

Jester

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Hey guys, I recently acquired a 67 Nova that was set up for the track, and I am in the process of making it more streetable. It has a Barry Grant 800 Carb on it. Right now the jets in it have been bumped up to I believe 78. I have been searching to find specs on my carb to find what the stock jetting was so I can get them in and have a starting point for tuning, i cannot find anything on the carb at all and i don't have a model #. Below is a pic to help identify. Thanks!
Some info for you that should help you ID the carb: Demon Fuel Systems - Identify Your Demon Carb . A link to more info for as-supplied specs, etc., is here.

Good luck.

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,865 Posts
for tuning on the street it is VERY IMPORTANT to tune with the pvcr's for WOT and jets ONLY FOR CRUISE. So many people think the jets are for WOT and they ARE NOT.
For street fine but my competition carbs street or strip have no power valve its blocked and I dought if his B.G. 4779 s3 has one.

Jester

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
For street fine but my competition carbs street or strip have no power valve its blocked and I dought if his B.G. 4779 s3 has one.

Jester
all out race carbs don't need them as they are never at part throttle. but eliminating them in any carb that will see a good amount of part throttle is just plain stupid. If anything I'd think people would be trying to add a circut, not eliminating one.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.