Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing up my first Nitrous install and have a question about the fuel lines. I am sure this is a very basic question, but this is my first nitrous install.

Since I am only using the 150 shot initially, I am feeding the carb and the nitrous system with the same mechanical fuel pump. I have installed a "Y" in the fuel line so I can feed both the carb and solenoid. I may not use the nitrous but 1 or 2 times a year at the most.

My question is, "since the Nitrous will rarely be used, should I have a shut off valve between the "Y" and the solenoid valve so there is not constant fuel pressure on an infrequently used nitrous system.

thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
Wouldn't be a bad idea, but make sure the valve has enough flow capability when it is open.

It had better be a better than stock mechanical pump.

Splitting off from a mechanical fuel pump for nitrous use is generally considered a bad idea with much over 100 hp Nitrous added. It should really have an electric pump so that fuel delivery is linear, not pulsed like it would be with a mechanical pump.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ericnova72 said:
Wouldn't be a bad idea, but make sure the valve has enough flow capability when it is open.

It had better be a better than stock mechanical pump.

Splitting off from a mechanical fuel pump for nitrous use is generally considered a bad idea with much over 100 hp Nitrous added. It should really have an electric pump so that fuel delivery is linear, not pulsed like it would be with a mechanical pump.
This makes good sense. Because I have not purchased or installed the pump yet, I will consider electric over mechanical. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Well, as long as you're not installing the Y a few feet away from the solenoid, I think it would be a bit redundant. In essence, the solenoid is a valve. I could see using a valve if you dont want a few extra feet of fuel line contantly full, but I dont really see much of a problem. When your solenoid is closed, it shouldn't affect fuel pressure/flow at all. Be sure and test fuel pressure when its open so you're sure the mechanical pump will feed enough during nitrous.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your advise.

I am seriously rethinking this entire system.

It may be wise to use the winter months to make sure it is done right. I have been looking at separate fuel cells for the nitrous system, but have yet to find one that fits my needs. The smaller the better.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.