Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 mustang AM Philco radio (6tpz) w/ 4 wires coming out the left side. Before hooking it up, I want to make sure I have the wires correct. There are two wires that share a plastic molding--the male is a solid black wire, the female wire is black w/ a green stripe. The other two wires are a blue w/ red strip and another solid black wire.
I am sure this is fairly basic, but I would appreciate any assistance to avoid ruining the radio. Thanks.

·
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO
247 Posts
If you have an ohmmeter (analog or digital) I would suggest that you check the various pins on the connector against the metal chassis of the radio.

One pin should be essentially shorted to the chassis - that one will be the ground.

Another pin should show some resistance when the radio is turned on - that would be the positive. It should go open circuit when the radio is turned off.

The other leads are likely for dial illumination or the speaker. Does the radio illumination come on with the vehicle lights regardless of whether the radio is turned on or not?

If you take your time and check out the leads with a meter you should be able to identify them without damaging anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.