Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Heart Breaker and Life Taker
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinkin about goin into it. What do you guys think? I don't get in trouble,but I need to get my *** straightened out. No one is telling me to go,this is all me. If I go,it'll be during summer. I've got 9 weeks to lose.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
It will make a man out of you but don't do it for the wrong reasons, it's serious business and the commitment is for real and possibly life or death if you are sent off to fight. Not everyone is cut out to be torn down and built up again, some go home crying for their mommy's.

I can always tell which men or women have had military training, they are in charge of their destiny and know who they are and walk with a raised chin and shoulders back.

I highly recommend that you get into shape before you go, nothing worse than not being able to do one chin-up while some drill sargeant screams in your ear what a woosy you are.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can lift my own body weight no problem. hell,i only weighl like 160 or so. I've been through ROTC before. Didnt phase me any. Some people I know wont be happy with my decision,but they're not me.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
If you do it, have a long-range goal to keep you focused.

·
Registered
491 Posts
What service are you thinking about? Are you going to be 17 this summer? Do you parents support your idea? I signed up before I told mine. I was 18 though. I went Navy and aviation hydraulics.

What do you want to do? What do you want to learn? What training do you want from the service?

I know the service is a great idea for most folks, even if it is only for one term. It isn't easy and change comes hard, but it will make a person grow fast.

Dutch

·
Registered
290 Posts
Boot Camp

Boot Camp will be one of the best experiences in your life and it will change you for the good. When you finish you will find it's kind of hard to leave, it's become your home.
Boot camp is a mind game. You need to keep your head on tight and not let anything get to you. That is what the DI's are looking for - the weak ones.
Sometimes our physical training was so intense I got my mind to where I could almost be in another world and could do anything I was asked. That may sound strange and it is hard to really explain but there was no pain, no exhaustion and you could really do more than what was asked of you with a full head of steam.
And that is the mental attitude they seek.
You will be suprised that later in life after the military just how much it helps you. I like you needed something to get my life in order. If I had not went in I really don't know where I'd be today. I owe them a lot for what they did for me. My Military training took me into the world of auto repair which got me into the dealerships and on to night time college then into fish& wildlfe, but I still own a small restoration shop.
Like what was stated by others, have a long range goal, do it for the right reasons, and know that you may be asked to put your life on the line when needed.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
I'll tell you what I told my boys..."don't do it"...I didn't raise any bullet stoppers!! Go to college and make something of your life...don't waste it being a soldier!! I did 11 years including reserves.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

3,214 Posts
Tazz.... I'm glad everyone isn't like you on this one.

I really feel that most everyone would benefit from going thru basic training. I really wish there was a way to just go thru that and not the rest of the military time. They could make that part of high school. I really know of no one that went thru it, and didn't benefit from it. The military life isn't for everyone, but a short stint can prepare you for much of life that is yet to come. It will prepare you to be on your own, without the need for mom and dad as a safety net. It will teach you responsibility and drive to survive, something that can only be partially taught at home. You will learn that the real world is hard, but not unbearable.

Yes there is the chance that you may have to go to war and be shot at and even killed. Sorry, Bush got re-elected, so that chance is greater right now, but you also have a chance of being hit by a car, while changing a flat tire on your car. If it is your time to go, it is your time.

Just make sure that you decide to go in for the right reason.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Does basic training obligate you to enter a branch of the military?

I know a few guys who went into the military and regretted it.

Not really knowing anything about you or what "I don't get in trouble but I need straitened out" means. I can't honestly tell you, someone who is only 16 years old to go for it.

Wait until you get out of high school before you make any decisions, alot can change in two years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Basic

Basic starts within a couple of days after you are sworn in, then you leave for what branch of service you have selected.
My personal opinion is to join the Navy or Air Force for the better education you will recieve, and if you have reservations about combat duty. Not knocking the other branch's training. I think you will find the Navy & Air force are after your mind more than your body. Bottom line the Navy unless you are a Pilot or UDT SEAL, delivers a lot of Firepower from a long way off. And back in the 70's when I went in that was my Dad's opinion also and him a 20+ year Army CW4.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be 17 in june,a friend went through it,it got him stronger,smarter,and better abilitied. I'm thinking of just basic training then on to infantry school if I can. However,If my grandfather gets the trailer ready for our trip this summer,I'll go with him. Family comes first.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Basic

Did you take a pre-entrance test to see what you are qualified for as far as schools go? That's your call and everyone respects it but I would see what kind of training I could get. Get some good training at Uncle Sam's expense, don't worry he will work it out of you. It will help later if you decide you want to go to college.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Marines

If you are looking into it for motivation.

I went to he USMC right out of high school. Spent a little over 4 years in the Infantry and now I am out and about to finish college with BS in Molecular Biology. I am also applying to medical schools at this time. I don't think i had the drive to do this before I went in the Corps, but now I know I will do what it takes to accomplish my dreams.
Give you an idea of what it was like as a grunt. If you live where it rains a lot or snow's go stand out in in for a few weeks and you will get the feel of what the next four years would be like. Not fun but if it doesn't kill you it will only make you better.

If you are looking into it for travel

I spent 6 months in the middle east, I also went to australia, guam, hawaii 6 times, thialand x 2, singapore, korea.

If you are looking into to get into shape.

I went in at a whopping 155 pounds and actually gained 20 pounds in boot camp. After that i continued to pack muscle on and when I got out of the USMC I weighed 230 pounds and could bench around 365pounds and it seemed I could run forever. I continue to work out because of the drive the USMC gave me.

Money reasons:
Its not worth the little check they give you.
I got the gi bill and have collected almost 36,000 for college over the past 4 years.

Bad sides:
You could DIE, but not likely
you can never get the time back you spent away from you family
Times you will be saying why the heck did I do this
like at 3am and your standing in the freezing rain. or in a
fox hole full of water or someone it shooting at you.

In the end you have to make that choice for your self. Do you let other people defend you or do you defend them.. Wish you the best ..

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks chev. No,I havent takin a pre-entrance yet. Going to though. Hell,its 50* out here now and i wearing a short sleeve shirt and still warm.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
9 weeks to lose... did you say "9" weeks?

Oh no,no,no.....

Did you bother to read the part where you are required to put in "8" years of military service?

So yeah, go for your 9 weeks and then have fun for the next 4 to 8 years!

No thank you! At least not in this governments army. BTW even if you sign up for reserves, your * will be in IRAQ, count on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts