Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:
Just spent the last hour and a half reading all about using two batteries wired in parallel. I'm in the final assembly process on a 37 Ford using a Northstar and 4T80E trans-axle mounted in the rear. I fabricated everything, including the chassis, front and rear suspension, drive train, steering, all aluminum work and all wiring. Believe it or not, there is absolutely no room for a standard sized battery. However, I do have two small spaces, one on each side of the motor inside the car. Information I have gotten of this site seems to say the "Dyna-Batt"s work well, so I bought one and made 2 mounting trays. Just in case though, (cuz I'm a future kinda thinker), I Plan to install the cables for the second battery before the interior goes in, so I can add one if necessary. Hadn't thought of using an isolator though and now you"ve got me thinking. If I don't have an "Additional Load" requirement, and just want the second battery as a precautionary measure, would this be the way to go? Thanks for the help. Nstar John

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've played around with car audio for the past decade and have installed multiple battery systems many times. An isolator isn't necessary. But may be good insurance If powering different circuits. One of my SPL systems had 4 Optima yellow tops powering 4 1farad capacitors and 4 amplifiers (all "0" guage wire) Never any problems, just more power reserve during high amperage loads.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

I would, Providing you get the right isolator, one that will automatically switch, on both load and charge..

It will insure both battery's are in peak condition at all times!

If it is to be a "Weekend Warrior" you Could just use a switching solenoid (to boost crank in case of a slow start) and trickle Charge the second battery while it's stored..That will work also, but is not as reliable.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Doc:
The car will be shown for the first year, and then driven to rod runs and such. It won't be a daily driver, but will be driven when weather permits. Think I'll install an isolator anyway. Much simpler than having to charge seperate batteries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.