Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
A car battery, fully charged, will produce 500 amps or more for 30 seconds. This is called "Cold Cranking Amps".

If the starter is shorted or the positive battery cable is grounded all that energy will be concentrated in the copper wire, which then becomes a heater and melts the insulation.

vicrod

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
79chevy4x4 said:
ok guys my cable was just bare at the end where it connets to the battery i got another one that semmed to clear the problem
Just in case, I would suggest you use a clamp on ammeter with the engine off (and the key in your pocket) to check for any current flow. Then, at start up and then during running conditions. Something else may have caused the insulation to disappear and the wire melt.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

You might want to also double check around the starter area, where the cable attach's to the solenoid.

You may have some loose tin or metal that can / Has shorted at that terminal..causing a BIG short..

It's much better/cheaper to be safe than sorry..

As everyone has said..It takes a LOT of current to melt a battery cable.

Good luck!

Doc :pimp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.