Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Ive got 99s-10 and battery went bad on it and I tried to take it out and its got those badly designed side posts. Negative came off nicely with 9/16th wrench, tried positive and it snapped right with the + post, right out of battery :( and that bolt is stuck into post, then I tried unscrewing it and it just broke off of cable. Im not sure if those posts are replaceable and would I have to replace whole positive cable now...:( im confused

·
Registered
290 Posts
Battery

Don't feel bad, You would be suprised at how many Delco batteries we had to replace for the posts snapping off. Funny thing is that you don't have that problem with the Replacement Delco batteries or at least I never seen one it was just the Factory installed Delco batteries.
No repair just replace the battery.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the thing is that bolt stuck in the battery terminal when it ripped out, and then I tried to take it out from that metal terminal without luck and just snapped cable ending off of battery cable, and it doesnt look like its one of those kind that can be unbolted and replaced

stock bolt is same exact like this one, but its stuck in old battery terminal

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Cut the old termal off.then cut the sheating back about 1/2" and install a new terminal.Check the condition of the copper strands when you remove the terminal,if they are corroded,replace the whole cable.Take a die grinder if accesible to cut the terminal off,as you will get a good clean cut straight thru without unwinding the strannds.If you do not have a diegrinder with a cutoff wheel use a hacksaw blade with fine teeth.Try not to resort to using sidecuts as this will pull the wires apart,you can straighten them out but the other methods will produce a better result for you.Good luck man.-Rcastle-

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Battery Cable

Doc here::pimp:

You may just want to consider replacing BOTH whole cables...

If the Terminals were that corroded, the chances are that it has traveled up inside the insulation on the copper wire (where you can't see it).

It isn't that expensive, and better to do it now, than on a cold , dark , rain soaked highway...and since the battery is new, If you coat the terminals with anti corrode goop..It should give you many years of good service with proper maintenance.

Just a thought...

Doc :pimp:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.