Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a new battery charger. my old craftsman 10/2 charger died years ago, i've been using a harbor fright since, the meter doesn't register and it won't start charging on a dead battery. my needs are minor, 12 volt 10/2 amp, maybe a maintainer setting, maybe a desulfator setting. i don't need a start boost or anything 6 volt. i know battery chargers have changed over the years, i haven't kept up.

i see schumacher chargers for $24 up all over

this schumacher is 8 amp will charge a dead battery $35

little bigger schumacher is 15 amp, $56 will charge dead battery

black and decker 15 amp will charge a dead batt, also in 25 amp version
stanley has identical versions

this noco genius 10 amp has a force start button for dead batteries. this thing is 8 inches long

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Most any battery charger these days will not work with a flat battery. There needs to be a charge to flip the relay inside. Sometimes the relay is digital, sometimes it's analog and you can hear a click.. Sometimes the start/ boost setting will circumvent the relay, and you can flip it back quick and have it work..

I use the Harbor Freight 3/10/55A start boost charger that I think was $30, and it's been fine for years.. If I need to start charging a flat battery, a set of jumper cables just touched for a second will start it going

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
every battery charger i listed above will initialize a charge on a dead, zero volt battery. each one has the automatic cycle that senses voltage and reverse hookup protection. each one also has a manual override for zero volts, push a button to start the charge cycle.
i'm not trying to revive a years old dead battery, i was cleaning my cd player in the dd and left the key on all night. dead battery. the harbor fright charger wouldn't initialize until i touch a harbor fright 1 amp battery tender to the battery, that was enough to initialize the charger. my hotrod has a keyless entry/alarm that will drain a battery in a week, if i forget to hookup the battery tender.
i'll leave it for a couple days and see if i get any feedback on my selections
the noco genius has the desulfator cycle, i may spring for that
if not i'll go with the top schumacher 8 amp

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I have used the listed Schumacher 15 - 3 amp - maintainer for over 1 year. Works well. Has setting for flooded, AGM , Gel batteries. I have used it on Flood acid battery, Motorcycle AGM batterys, Optima battery...

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I have used the listed Schumacher 15 - 3 amp - maintainer for over 1 year. Works well. Has setting for flooded, AGM , Gel batteries. I have used it on Flood acid battery, Motorcycle AGM batterys, Optima battery...
Learned today the Schmacher sc1280 15 - 3amp charger has a cooling fan built in. I've used this charger for 1.5 years, never heard the fan come on till today. My lawn tractor has been sitting outside, off the batt maintainer. I knew the battery would be low. Hooked Schumacher charger up.. Charger indicated the battery had 9.6 volts. Put the charger on 15 amp charge , flooded acid battery setting , walked away. Few minutes later I walk back and hear some noise. Cooling fan was running inside the charger. Lawn tractor fired up. Yippee: yard work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.