Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Looks like all it does is prevent the build-up of sulfidation on the battery plates, and that's supposed to help the environment? I would think the acid and lead in the battery would be the environmental hazard, not the sulfidation by-product. It's not even a charger. I'll be interested to find out if anyone has spent any of their hard earned cash on this product. :confused:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

In My Humble Opinion: Snake oil...

Yes, In fact it is a Trickle Charger..and will keep your battery topped off during long storage periods of store.
Eliminates jump starts
Prevents dead batteries on stored vehicles and equipment no matter how long they sit unused
And Yes..It will keep your battery from dying overnight BECAUSE you have decided not to repair the faulty diodes in your failing alternator or regulator...
Eliminates the main cause of battery problems and failures
More Power to my System???
Helps battery recharge faster and provide more available power to your vehicle and accessories
Soooo..like this adds relays and larger gauge wire to my system all by itself?? WOW! My lights will run brighter,,and my ignition hotter..and I won't relay on that half defective alternator I have..NOT to mention the poor ground/bonding issues...

Extends the life of the battery dramatically
Like to see a 5 year battery last 10 years..not seeing any claims here..and then a cut~Away of the plate grids...AS well as what is in the sluff box..

Ya Gotta remember..These "EvilBay" products are there BECAUSE most distributors won't handle them...Simply because they either aren't worth the bucks or don't do the job they say they do. And retailers don't want to become "middlemen"..

It most likely has it's place..it probably DOES keep the battery charged during storage..However, the main source of discharge on a modern Vehicle is memory Support..Alarm systems and any other added System that draws power..The cure for that...Remove the cables...

To be fair to the product, If you have a stored vehicle, or tractors that run seasonal..it's probably a good thing to have..But the rest is pure "Puffery"..

For $19.00 I guess is better than calling AAA twice a year..

But that's about the extent of what I would expect of it.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

That one doesn't even include a charge unit...(the only useful part involved..)

If you look up on the wakipedia (not ours) under battery's you will see that in the first paragraph it states a Lead Acid Plate grid comes with a built in life span (usually 5 years) And NOTHING short of good luck will gain you much more..

The information on that EVIL BAY ad is no more earth shattering than we have known for 150 years..Sulphation leads to whisker growth, that extends to other plates or the sluff box short out and the cells start to die..a result of chemical reaction..

YES, you can "SHOCK" that off the plate grid Electronically..What they don't tell you is parts of the plate antimony goes with it..now you have a see through hole in the plate grid in cross sections meaning a cell that SHOULD be 1.5 Volts is now 1.2 or less..until it crumbles..

Tons of Years ago , those big service station chargers used to have that function for battery revival..you know, the ones with the big "lightning bolts" on the sides ? (A very good analogy also..) and a stone dead , non charging battery could be coaxed into charging again by a quick BLAST of high current..(blowing the plates clean of the sediment) then a slow charge..

Only problem was..If it didn't explode on the over-current "Shot" ..you were back a few weeks later for a battery..as it slowly died a horrible death..

If your worried about battery life..your money is better spent in proper battery maintenance, a properly maintained Charging system, and if Stored , removing drains from vehicle support and a long term charger used..and Expect to buy a new battery every 5 to 6 years..anything over is a welcome plus! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The add for this one says the batteries last until their maximum. Don't all batteries last to their maximum though? Kinda like us...we last until we die.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
73oldsman said:
The add for this one says the batteries last until their maximum. Don't all batteries last to their maximum though? Kinda like us...we last until we die.

Like the lifetime guarantee...is good until it dies..then expires.. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
docvette said:

That one doesn't even include a charge unit...(the only useful part involved..)

If your worried about battery life..your money is better spent in proper battery maintenance, a properly maintained Charging system, and if Stored , removing drains from vehicle support and a long term charger used..and Expect to buy a new battery every 5 to 6 years..anything over is a welcome plus! :thumbup:

this is the secret about batteries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts