Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm guessing you mean 13 to 15 volts, so that would be in the normal range but 15 is little high. Most likely your alternator is good. I'm assuming you are asking because you have a cranking problem. If so, I would suspect if it is not holding a charge, the battery is bad. Take it to a parts store and have it "load tested" to be sure. Bad connections on either of the battery terminals, starter or elsewhere could give similar symptoms.
Bob

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

A Constant charge of about 13 VOLTS is not an unusual reading (depending on the accessory load)

Above 14.4 volts and you may be heading for battery boil over, and the regulator is misbehaveing..and will require replacement or adjustment (depending on the regulator)...

BELOW 13.95 volts at a warm Idle no load, and the Alternator is not charging..

What makes you think you are having problems? Are you having dead battery's?

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes doc after running the car for a few hours leave it alone for a day and go out to start it it cranks real slow then picks up and starts.If i use acessories like the power windows and heater or radio it seems like its too much of a load and its wants to stall.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Have the system load Checked, Then have the battery (after a full charge, 6 amps at 10 hours) Load checked. Freebie at Auto Zombie.

You'll probably find IF , the connections are good you have a bad cell..

IF it goes dead JUST sitting for like a weekend, It will be a parasitic Drain OR the Internal regulator of the alternator, One or more Diodes has reversed Biased.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.