Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what types of batteries you guys use. In daily drivers, hotrods , RV , marine use, motorcycle. I've had friends that have used some of the Optima & other non FLA battery in hotrods

Over the years I have used Flooded Lead Acid battery most often. I have used AGM battery. I have used the Optima brand for many years till Interstate reduced the quality on the Optima. Those Optima batterys would last 8 to 10 yrs for my Hotrods

Last year we bought a 5th wheel RV.. The RV has solar on it, lead acid group 27 deep cycle battery in it. Have been looking at lithium , Lifepo4 battery tech and solar for the RV. Old dawg here , trying to learn new stuff.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,541 Posts
I like AGM batteries for most everything.
Either US Battery or Braille in 12 or 16v.
Braille offers a lithium that had been go to us although I've heard of some failures but I don't know specifics to those instances.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've used lead acid in everything since the 1960's , quality batteries properly maintained , used as designed , generally last me 8 years plus , 10 is not unusual . hard to beat economically ( thats less than $12.50 per year ) or performance wise . Most rechargeable "new" tech tool batteries are only good for 2-4 years . not impressed .

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I, too use lead acid batteries because they last as long and cost much less. My '39 was slow to crank, topped the battery off and took it back to Walmart. It tested bad but was 11 years old!

·
Administrator
10,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used the AGM & flooded lead acid battery in daily drivers. Arizona heat kills battery a bit faster than milder climates. The AGM do hold up longer.

I put Walmart brand batttery in the wifes car, group 51R in a Honda car. They last about 28 to 30 months here.

A friend used the Odyssey brand battery.. That brand has gone way up in price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've installed hundreds of AC Delco batteries and that's what I continue to use personally. Usually getting 10 years or so out of them. The one I put in my 1947 Mercury pickup has been there 11 years now.
Was thinking about putting an Optima in my 38 Chev, but I'm sure it won't last twice as long for double the price.
AC Delco did start getting their batteries made in Korea as of late, will see if the quality is the same.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I use AGM Batteries in everything I own, specifically the NAPA Legend, as it's made by East Penn MFG (very good quality), plus I want too see my local NAPA stay there (as we've seemingly been invaded lately by every Auto Parts type store in existence)-

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Just last month I replaced a 10-year old lead acid battery (forgot the brand) with an Interstate battery from Costco. A few years before that, I replaced a "Budget Battery" (the actual product name!) that had a whopping 12-month warranty. It had been installed by some P.O. and lasted for around 6 years! On the other hand, I've had OE batteries last only 2 years in daily drivers.

The batteries I mentioned above that lasted 6-10 years were in "hobby" vehicles that sometimes are not driven for weeks at a time. I do try to keep "smart" battery tenders on them, but certainly not all the time.

Bottom line for me is relatively inexpensive batteries work great and outlast their warranties -- by a lot -- in vehicles that are not driven daily.

Like 35WINDOW, I do like supporting local businesses, but a battery from my local parts stores would have cost 50% -100% more than the Interstate I got from Costco. At least I didn't feed the Amazon monster!

Just found this photo of the battery I mentioned above. It was already several years old when I got the truck so I thought I'd have to replace it soon, but it lasted another several years -- 6 years total. Have to wonder if it was just as good as a name brand battery but with a much shorter warranty to keep the price low.

OK, too much heavy thinking for this morning!

Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Bumper Automotive tire

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use an Optima Yellow. It requires a minimum 13.6 volts from the alternator. Using a 28% underdrive crank pulley it has been problem free for 2 years now. (Yes the underdrive pulley actually freed up power. It shaved 0.1 seconds off my quarter mile times, my A/C, power steering, and headlights all work fine too.)

·
Grand Prix user
5,533 Posts
O'Reilly's Super Start. I buy enough battery for the job and get 6-10 years from them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am curious what types of batteries you guys use. In daily drivers, hotrods , RV , marine use, motorcycle. I've had friends that have used some of the Optima & other non FLA battery in hotrods

Over the years I have used Flooded Lead Acid battery most often. I have used AGM battery. I have used the Optima brand for many years till Interstate reduced the quality on the Optima. Those Optima batterys would last 8 to 10 yrs for my Hotrods

Last year we bought a 5th wheel RV.. The RV has solar on it, lead acid group 27 deep cycle battery in it. Have been looking at lithium , Lifepo4 battery tech and solar for the RV. Old dawg here , trying to learn new stuff.
for me it depended on how it was mounted current car it is on its side so its an optima but all my previous cars have been lead acid and get 10 + years. mentioned a motorhome and have had a few which i always used US deep cycle and since i'm in the north put on battery tenders for the winter on anything that was stored

·
Registered
27 T, scratch built road race chassis, 392 hemi, Holley EFI
19 Posts
Lead-acid - usually Interstate, but any reputable brand is probably OK (you get what you pay for). More important is keep it cool in use, and well charge if exposed to freezing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use an Optima Yellow. It requires a minimum 13.6 volts from the alternator. Using a 28% underdrive crank pulley it has been problem free for 2 years now. (Yes the underdrive pulley actually freed up power. It shaved 0.1 seconds off my quarter mile times, my A/C, power steering, and headlights all work fine too.)
I have had my Optima Red battery die 4 years in a row after 12-13 months in my hot Rod. I keep the battery on a trickle charger. Luckily autozone has replaced it under warranty until this last December so I had to buy a new optima battery. If this battery doesn’t last more than a year I will switch to another brand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow! I just checked the install date on my Optima Yellow Top. JUNE OF 2014! I've been using the underdrive pulley on it the past 2 years. Maybe its deep-cycle capability is helping my cause?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have two of these in a 65 Mustang, two in a 76 Merc Montego wagon. These cars both go cross country.

And fourteen (2x7) in a 24V stock picker (fork lift where you ride the forks).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have two of these in a 65 Mustang, two in a 76 Merc Montego wagon. These cars both go cross country.

And fourteen (2x7) in a 24V stock picker (fork lift where you ride the forks).

You will eventually prematurely destroy those batteries if used as a starting source. Deep cycle chemistry is not designed to deliver short high current energy. Nor are they designed to be charged at high rates of speed like in an automotive system. The high current starting environment will run the risk of damaging deep cycle plates, and the high rate charging will cause them to off-gas which also will damage the chemistry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts