Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Crew.
Theres supposed to be a show on the History Channel on Dec 8th at 9:00 pm called battle of the uglies.
They take a Gremlin and a pacer and put todays technology in em along with a shot of nitrous oxide. Id say they use the AMC 304 engines. Should be a funny one. GO GREMLIN! HG :thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
I will need a reminder. Where's the post-its? Thanks, Hemmie. :thumbup: Dan

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
NASTY NASH

Ahhhh, there is always a special place in my heart for an AMC. My older brother's first car was a 73 Gremlin X with V-8 power, red and white, N-50-15s, and aluminum slots.

It brings back fond memories of his drunken attempts to allude the local authorities at 115 MPH down the middle of main street.

Yes, I can recall my 300 pound father answering the phone at 2 AM, and charging though the house in his underwear looking for a hammer so he could go break the windows out of the car.

It seems that my brother had gotten stuck in the high speed chase, and instead of surrendering to the authorities, he and his buddy locked the door, and proceeded to give the local fuzz the finger. Not a wise idea.

Now you know where the hammer came in handy for the old man.

I had a 74 Hornet X for my first car. 304 V-8, buckets, all the goodies. I remember scrounging up two bucks and driving it until I ran out of fuel, losing my keys everyday and wondering why brakes don't last when you hold the brake and mash the gas all the time.

Got to love them Nashes, oh, yes and the hatchback rear glass for star gazing with your sweety out in the country.

Blew it up, and towed her to the junkyard where she met her fate with the crusher years ago.

·
Administrator
18,426 Posts
If that Hornet and gremlin was built in the Brampton, Canada plant, which they probably were.....there is a 50/50 chance that I hung the passenger door.

Did the doors ever fall off?....lol

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,781 Posts
One of the guys on the AMC List talked to the producers and served as an "AMC Expert" (Tom Jennings). I believe he said the cars both had 258 sixes, but I'm not positive that was both of them. At least one should have the six (the most commonly used AMC engine by far!). Those are tough engines-- I'm interested in seeing what they do with a shot of nitrous! The old model (early 70s) Gremlin was a pretty fun car with just a 232 and three speed stick, didn't need a V-8 in the light little ting!

·
Registered
133 Posts
:welcome: Whooohoo, the Gremlin! I had one back in HS. It was a '73, brown/tan, 304, and a 3spd. Paid $75.00 for it and drove it for about 2 years. It had Appliance wheels(rip off Cragars) and a huge set of biased plied "Grab and Go" rear tires. I replaced it with a '74 with a 232 in it. It would run 16's. I ripped both of them apart in an attempt to build one car out of them. They were both sold as a pile of parts a couple years later. What did I know, I was a stupid kid! Out of all the cars I've owned, that's one of the ones I wish I still had. Can't wait for the show!:welcome:

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
1,642 Posts
poncho62 said:
If that Hornet and gremlin was built in the Brampton, Canada plant, which they probably were.....there is a 50/50 chance that I hung the passenger door.

Did the doors ever fall off?....lol

:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't think a pacer ever cam with a V8. I remember when the Grenny X came out, one of the magazines was doing a test coverage and there was a picture of it pulling the front wheels about 6 inches off the ground. I never owned a Gremlin or any other Nash but I always liked them. Cool thing was a 401 would always bolt right in where any 304 had resided..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts