Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 1 049 Head and 1 781 head that came off my dads 454, those were on there when he bought the motor he just never got the chance to work on it. I know these heads are relatively similar, so would they be ok to run on this motor for racing or should I try to find a matching 049 or 781 head and play it safe? I haven't had them taken to a machine shop to CC them or check the valves or anything so I'm not too sure at the moment

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
what do you call racing?
get a guy that can hi pref port and bowl blend that has a flow bench and knows those castings.
You can easily make 550 plus hp if the guy knows his heads, maybe more?

This is not a diy project dont even ask, unless 480 hp is enough

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you call racing?
get a guy that can hi pref port and bowl blend that has a flow bench and knows those castings.
You can easily make 550 plus hp if the guy knows his heads, maybe more?

This is not a diy project dont even ask, unless 480 hp is enough
well racing as in drag racing, but i mean they should be good though if they end up with matching valves and cc right?

·
More for Less Racer
19,347 Posts
well racing as in drag racing, but i mean they should be good though if they end up with matching valves and cc right?
It isn't just valve size that needs to be the same between heads...the intake and exhaust ports need to be ported to match each other, as there are small differences in the two different heads.
A good head porter can make them match...but by the time you pay to machine for new guides and have them installed, new valves, machine for the bigger valve diameter, cut the guide for lift clearance and a positive seal, new springs, retainers, and locks, quality rocker studs(stock's are not good enough for high performance work), and resurface the head so it is flat....along with cleaning and magnafluxing for cracks before you even start work on them....you are going to be very close to the price of some of the budget friendly aluminum heads that are out there(Flo-Tek and ProMaxx)....and those will flat blow away those old iron clunkers.

you have to evaluate and look at the best value for money, rebuilding and reworking stock heads is not very good on the HP per dollar spent basis.

It is no longer a very viable option to rebuild and performance rework old stock iron heads in todays modern manufacturing world, especially Small Block Chevy, Bit Block Chevy, Small Block Ford, ...and it is getting darn close yo that point in the Pontiac, Big Block Ford 385 series(429/460) and Small Block Mopar.

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
It isn't just valve size that needs to be the same between heads...the intake and exhaust ports need to be ported to match each other, as there are small differences in the two different heads.
A good head porter can make them match...but by the time you pay to machine for new guides and have them installed, new valves, machine for the bigger valve diameter, cut the guide for lift clearance and a positive seal, new springs, retainers, and locks, quality rocker studs(stock's are not good enough for high performance work), and resurface the head so it is flat....along with cleaning and magnafluxing for cracks before you even start work on them....you are going to be very close to the price of some of the budget friendly aluminum heads that are out there(Flo-Tek and ProMaxx)....and those will flat blow away those old iron clunkers.

you have to evaluate and look at the best value for money, rebuilding and reworking stock heads is not very good on the HP per dollar spent basis.

It is no longer a very viable option to rebuild and performance rework old stock iron heads in todays modern manufacturing world, especially Small Block Chevy, Bit Block Chevy, Small Block Ford, ...and it is getting darn close yo that point in the Pontiac, Big Block Ford 385 series(429/460) and Small Block Mopar.

A big 10-4, good buddy!

Bogie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts