Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all my first post here.

I have a 454 with LS6 heads and i took on water in the #8 and # 5. All cylinders tested at between 135lbs and 150lbs except those.two which came in at about 70lbs. I took intake exhaust and heads off and found gaskets to be in good shape. Doesn't look like I broke anything. After looking at the head gasket I saw that there are water passage holes not open in the gasket. There are 6 half inch (aprox) holes on each head and in the block, on each side. In the gasket the top three have small 1/8 inch holes punched out but the rest are covered. The same on both gaskets. can anyone tell me if this is normal? The engine was rebuilt last year by the previous owner who passed away so I cant ask him.

I can post pics if needed all help would be great.
Thanks.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
was it burnign water and white smoking ?

70psi is way horrible

something is definitely wrong

valve train or gasket issues

or rings ?

some holes are blocked sometimes in head gaskets, sometimes restricted with tiny holes

probably is stock and correct

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why would water flow be restricted? I realize I left out an important piece of information. The engine is in a 21 foot scarab boat. 454 marine engine. LS6 heads. Offinhouser intake. Kodiak exaust manifolds, and Imco risers. The head gaskets are not round they are out of round but they all out of round so I guess that is how they are ment to be?

sorry for not fully explaining in first post. I hit submit instead of preview.

I am tring to figure out how to post pics.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Shown below are FelPro p/n 8180PT2 used on 396-454 BBC engines. Use them to compare to what you have.

To post images, use the "Manage Attachments" found below the field where you type the post. jpg type attachments need to be < 300 MB, IIRC.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.