Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 454 block. mark IV block. i do know i am going to do an eagle rotating assy, miliodon pan, aluminum water pump, brodix or edelbrock heads. and ill lighten up the valvetrain, with an edelbrock rpm air gap and 750 carb. i was going to do a 496 but than desided against it when my cam builder told me that he could do a cam that will do 625 hp and 650 lbs or torque. he told me my bell housing will be toast and my trans driveshaft and rear. this is in a 69 nova that has a 11 inch bellhousing with a muncie m-21 trans and a stock driveshaft with a 8.5 10 bolt rear with upgraded axles. so i desided to do a modern version of the classic 427 L-88. i was thinking make it look like it but with modern parts and make it revv to 6000 or 6500. what do you guys think? thanks al.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
Plan to drive it on the street?

A 454 with 500hp and 500 ftlb should be enough for a street/strip 69 nova. This can be easily done with stock heads (049, 781, 820's) and a big hydro cam like a compcam 292H and 9.5 to 10:1 cr. Edlebrock heads will be even better (maybe another 25 to 40hp).

for a street/strip car set the rods and main bearings at 0.0015 to 0.0020. Set the rear main at 0.0025 to 0.003. Any bigger than that and oil pressure will drop off when the engine gets warm.

hyper cast pistons is all you will need at this hp level. Would even be good enough for a little shot for n02 (125hp). just get a good set of rod bolts.

FYI
In theory, to make 625hp you will need a set of heads that flow 315 cfm at the max lift of the cam. If you plan to drive on the street then be careful not to install such a big cam to make street driving a problem. As big cam eat up valve trains and have very rough idles.

If you are on a budget, then use the stock heads and spend the money on the rear end. 3.73's with a limited slip center section would be a good street/strip match for the above mentioned setup. If you use a bigger cam or plan just to drag race then a higher numeric gear should be used.

Finally, if you use a flat tappet cam (hydro or solid) then make sure to use an oil additive. check out zddplus.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No no no, ill be running on the street with a compression of 10.5:1. a custom ground hyd roller cam with the 4-7 swap and an everlast gear. alreayd have the cam made and all the rotating assy is forged and for heads im thinkin brodix race right oval ports, ill send them out to be ported along with the rpm air gap manifold. i already have my 750 carb and milidon pan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
I think you are overkilling the build in both complexity and money. But it seems you have money to spend on the engine.

the cam needs to have more than 300 degrees advertised duration to run 10.5:1 cr with a BBC on pump gas. A cam like this would be better off with a single plane intake.

forged pistons are not good for a street car. noisy and wearout sooner

4-7 swap isn't that big a deal. not worth it.

750 cfm carb isn't big enough for your setup. 850 or 900 would be much better

If you get a set of street ovals afr's then you don't need to send them out for porting. could be the same money as getting a set of edelbrocks and having them ported.

port matching the intake doesn't do much.

You still need a timing chain cover for the roller cam, so you can set up the cam backlash. will also need a bronze gear for the distributor.

too late now but you would have been better off rebuilding the stock stuff, adding compression and installing a big flat tappet cam. Would had spent a 1/3 of the money and had a better street engine. Sure, not as much power but still over 500hp which is a good BBC street engine.


thefloyd1973 said:
No no no, ill be running on the street with a compression of 10.5:1. a custom ground hyd roller cam with the 4-7 swap and an everlast gear. alreayd have the cam made and all the rotating assy is forged and for heads im thinkin brodix race right oval ports, ill send them out to be ported along with the rpm air gap manifold. i already have my 750 carb and milidon pan.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
deciding to run a 454 instead of a 496 on the street when you're buying the whole rotating assembly was a bad call, and no cam will get 625/650 out of a street driven NA 454, so either he plans on supercharging it or he's lying to sell you something.

the rest of it doesn't look bad though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one stock stuff is nothing compared to the new technology. and yes you can make that much hp for on the street. i dare you use a custom ground cam once and you will never go back! oh and by the way an everlast gear takes away the need for a bronze gear. and the reason i dont stroke it out is because it will be to much torque for my car. and 454s well everyone has them. who has a 427? i dont care if i can go bigger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
874 Posts
Well why did you ask the question? Too much torque is like saying there is a girl too pretty with too much class, being too lucky or a car too fast, being too lucky or having too much cash........ maybe he is trying to sell something. That custom ground cam must be something to be designing a whole engine around it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
its not the 625hp I doubt, its the 650tq that he claims goes along with it. And a 496 is in almost all cases better than a 454, you can run a plate if the power scares you too much- or lower the compression and cam to maek the same power on cheaper gas with more durability...

BTW, I ain't never had too much fun. :mwink:
 

·
WFO
Joined
·
5,030 Posts
Sounds to me like a case of too much money and not enough brai- er, ... I mean- info. (and why an Eagle bottom end when you couldda had a... never mind)

You can not talk to just one "mechanic" and then come here and spew like you know sumthin we don't!

Ain't nuthin new under THIS sun, me laddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, i figured you guys would be a little more into the whole retro thing. but i guess this shows the reason why i stoped using this forum. to many ppl that think they know stuff that they dont. one idk if you guys ever do any reading at all but now in days 600 hp big block is nothing. same as a small block doing 9 seconds in the 1/4. you guys think in the past. the reason behind a custom cam is to use a newer better design. most of comp cams cams are old. they have been around for a while. plus comp cams isnt on top of their game anymore. not at all. the new top dog is lunati. and 700 lbs of torque is nothing for bbc now in days. oh and why would i use stock heads? they could sink a boat and newer designs are soooo much better. but hey it dont matter because you guys KNOW everything under the sun. nothing new. this forum is like micheal jackson its gay and it gets old fast.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
thefloyd1973 said:
Ya, i figured you guys would be a little more into the whole retro thing. but i guess this shows the reason why i stoped using this forum. to many ppl that think they know stuff that they dont. one idk if you guys ever do any reading at all but now in days 600 hp big block is nothing. same as a small block doing 9 seconds in the 1/4. you guys think in the past. the reason behind a custom cam is to use a newer better design. most of comp cams cams are old. they have been around for a while. plus comp cams isnt on top of their game anymore. not at all. the new top dog is lunati. and 700 lbs of torque is nothing for bbc now in days. oh and why would i use stock heads? they could sink a boat and newer designs are soooo much better. but hey it dont matter because you guys KNOW everything under the sun. nothing new. this forum is like micheal jackson its gay and it gets old fast.

Lunati has good cams- they are not the best though.

700ftlbs of torque out of a NA street driven 454 is something new- infact I don't recall it ever being done before, this engine will not set the new standard.

And FWIW small blocks were doing 9's in the 1/4 back in the 60's.

I wish a thread could be removed because it was a waste of the internet...
 

·
WFO
Joined
·
5,030 Posts
ap72 said:
700ftlbs of torque out of a NA street driven 454 is something new-
Ap, this da is gonna do it w/a 427, not a 454-plus BBC. I quote- "the reason i dont stroke it out is because it will be to much torque for my car. and 454s well everyone has them. who has a 427? i dont care if i can go bigger."

He's my hero! :p
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top