Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 427 BBC in a jeep I use for mudd bogging. Last week I noticed it was hard to start I checked the timing. I have it at 38 total degrees. I also noticed the oil pressure would be 75 when I start it but when it gets about 160 - 180 it drops to 50 but doesn't go any lower than that. Today when I got ready to make my second run. I couldn't get it started. I turned the distributer clock wise and it started and it ran fine but the oil pressure was between 50 and 75. The oil pressure is fine until it gets warm like 160 or so. I am running havoline synthetic 20-50 racing oil. I have ran that type of oil all year oil and never had a problem with the oil pressure until last weekendI was told my gear on the end of the distributor could be worn??? I have no clue I am lost any help would be greatly appreciated

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
That distributor gear would be the first thing I would check. I have seen them wear out quickly.

On a 481 BBC, the new intake manifold was so thick, it would pop out of the oil pump drive when I loosened the distributor to set the timing. It took out the gear that very same weekend of racing. I had to keep adjusting the timing to make the finals.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
It's alignment into the camshaft gear. After any changes to the engine, such as camshafts, cylinder blocks, cylinder heads.......mechanical parts, or head gasket/ intake gasket thickness changes.......etc. Changes will be made to the depth of the distributor, to camshaft gear lobes.

We would refresh our engine in between the monthly racing events, and carry a spare engine(after that weekend), and a magneto, and a second MSD distributor, and new timing control box.

I also don't know how you 'winterize' your engine, if you back the valves off, or not. Weakening valve springs can allow the camshaft to be pushed farther forward. This in turn, will take out the distributor gear. I have seen this on SBC's, and BBC's.

We used 15 quarts of Kendall GT1 50W racing oil, and a quart of Morey's oil additive. Lubrication was never a problem.

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only time its hard to start is when the timing seems to be off. I have never had a problem starting it when it has been hot except the past couple of times. I readjusted the timing and it started fine so it has nothing to do with the starter.

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do have one question...... Why is it only hard to start when it is hot if the gear is bad??????????????? When it is cold it starts right up and the oil doesn't fluctuate until its hot either

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its not hard to turn over till it gets hot and I have to turn the distributor a little to the right and then it starts fine. the only reason its hard to start is because of the timing. You fix the timing and it starts great. I have an after market starter not a stock one. its for high compression motors. and I have checked every thing he said to check and there is not any problems with anything. Like I said you turn the distributor just a little and it fires right up

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an msd dist. and I didn't see any weights and springs in it. I did pull the dist this morning and I looked at the teeth on the gear I could see where a couple maybe 2 or 3 of the teeth had the corners rounded off. I take it thats causing the timing to be off just a bit when the engine is hot???

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
How much wear is in the rest of the gear? Enough for 4* 6* or 8* degrees of timing retard? Retarded timing will cause a 'hard' start effect, and your having to advance the timing when hot substantiates this.

Can you post a picture of the distributor drive gear?

·
a shade tree mechanic
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try to get a pic in about 10 or 15 min. I have to charge my camera. I have no clue if there is that much wear on it. I have never had to deal with this problem before. I do know thats it the original gear when I bought it 4 yrs ago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.