Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 454 with merlin heads. i put the car on the lift yesterday to change one of the spark plug wires since i have the 2 1/8 headers. on the drivers side at the rear corner where the head and block meet is wet. i could see that the stud 4 inches above it was leaking coolant at one time. but it was dry now. are chevys known for leaking there?

the motor isn't smoking and i can't smell coolant.

any chance it's not a blow head gasket and just needs to be re-torqued?

since i don't know squat about chevys. what's a good book for me to get? i would like to get a good performance book that will tell me bolt TQ order and how to adjust the rocker for a solid cam.

since i have to pull the steering box and the headers. i was going to get new coated headers to put on. since i have power steering i was thinking of getting the 2in hooker comp's untuned headers. i've got the 2 1/8 hooker super-comp's now that are tuned. is there much of a differance between the 2in tuned and untuned hooker headers?

thanks for you help.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
i could see that the stud 4 inches above it was leaking coolant at one time
Does this mean it has head studs...? If so this is common to them and can be rather difficult to deal with... Head studs should always be coated with a sealer to prevent the leakage that occurs from the stud hole being in the water jacket and the the stud is simply screwed into it but tends to leak coolant by the threads...

Even head bolts will tend to do this unless something is used... GM factory head bolt kits have something like this on them right out of the box...

My pref on this is liquid teflon pipe dope that is for steam pipe applications... :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, it has studs. but it didn't look like it was leaking anymore. the motor was up to temp 180 and where the head over laps the block at the corner was wet under the head and along the gasket where the head and block meet. above that was dry.

i'm going to do a compression test and see what i get. i'm not sure if i need to change out the head gasket or just throw in a can of stop leak. there's no water in the oil.

maybe i should have someone follow the car and get on it to see if it smokes.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Its not really a problem if it quit leaking... Most likely it seeped till corrosion or contaminates in the cooling system basicly plugged it up... I would not put stop leak in anything, that is a very temporary fix and in most cases causes more harm by plugging up the radiator tubes...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
only the stud quit leaking where the nut is. but i have a very small leak at the head gasket under there that stud is.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
If thats the case then it would be in your best interest to change the head gasket now... The stud leaking may have allowed it to get under and inbetween the head gasket material so it basicly eats away at it till it goes bad... The leakage of the gasket on the outside is a clear sign its about to go... :pain:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts