Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 8.1 liter, 496 cid engines... these are the 496 from a 2001 Chevy Silverado and not bored out 454's.

Both are getting punched out .030 over to deal with some pitting and scratches in the cylinders and not for "high performance" reasons.

Some annoyances include:
-Not finding engine kits... everything has to be bought separate.
-Not finding a complete gasket set... two separate sets to seal the engine.
-Edelbrock says they don't have an intake for stock heads with a carburetor on this engine.
-Ports are not like other BBchevy's (here is an expensive marine intake to illustrate the port configuration - http://www.raylarengine.com/cylinder_head.html

-etc.

I will be putting one engine back into the truck pretty much in a stock configuration, and the other I would like to put into a potential hotrod...

I either need a harness, computer, etc to make the "extra engine" run, or I need some means to change my intake, and ignition system to go "old school" carburated.

Does anyone now of either a basic "electronic" system (and its components) or "mechanical" system (and its components) to make this run as inexpensive as possible?

(possible prices and part numbers are welcome)

Thanks again

~J

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,341 Posts
low budget rodder said:
Some annoyances include:
-Not finding engine kits... everything has to be bought separate.
Contact your local reputable machine shop... or shopS. If there is a kit to be had they'll be able to get it. If you call several shops and they can't find it, you'll have to go piece by piece.
-Not finding a complete gasket set... two separate sets to seal the engine.
Cometic, ROL, and FelPro are the ones that will most likely have the most complete sets. Chances are GM sells a complete set, but be prepared to pay parts-counter prices.
-Edelbrock says they don't have an intake for stock heads with a carburetor on this engine.
That's correct. The 8.1 doesn't have nearly enough following to make it profitable for Edelbrock to cast a specialty intake. Its not a popular hot-rod platform.
-Ports are not like other BBchevy's (here is an expensive marine intake to illustrate the port configuration
The 8.1 doesn't have a lot in common with the old BBCs. For the sake of performance/rebuild purposes, consider it a one-off bastard that will be tough to find parts. Its not a BBC, its an 8.1 chevy. Whole different ballgame.

Does anyone now of either a basic "electronic" system (and its components) or "mechanical" system (and its components) to make this run as inexpensive as possible?
Look up megasquirt on the intarwebs. Megasquirt is a self-built, freeware-type computer that will run EFI in darn near any configuration. They have several iterations to control EFI, spark timing, transmissions, etc.

By the way... please drink a Cream Ale for me... I moved to Texas and I can't get those lovely green cans anymore

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.