Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a bbc from a builder that came with a flexplate, I have a 4 speed that I plan on putting on it but i'm having issues finding the right flywheel. The block casting code is 14015445, 4 bolt main. From what I've been told and found on the block; it has a one piece rear main seal, it is externally balanced, and 168 tooth. Outside diameter is 14 inches, I measured the crank flange to be just a hair over 3.5 inches(hole center to hole center using a tape measure). The problem I'm having is the only flywheel that I've come close to matching is that it is a 91 and up flywheel (#14096987) not the 78 to 90, also all the other flywheels that come up when searching are two piece rear main seal.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think that is the right flywheel if your engine was externally balanced.

Does the flexplate have a weight welded on it?

You can have the new flywheel balanced to match the flexplate

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,613 Posts
If it has a one piece rear main seal then it's not a mark 4. The mark 4 has a 2 piece rear main seal. The mark 5 and 6 have a one piece seal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can not see a weight welded on it. The part number on the flextplate is B063511, also both that part number and 12115 are scribed onto the plate. It looks similar to a SUM-G102SFI

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that is where I am getting confused. The block cast comes back as a 78-90 but doesn't the 2 piece to 1 piece switch happen in 1986? I've called the builder to reassure it was a one piece as he had originally told me during the purchase, I can pull the flexplate off if that will give me the answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts