1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Putting together my oil pump and setting the pan to oickup clearance

I have a standard pan with a 305S pickup which is meant to suit the pan

When I'm trying to set the angle the pickup runs down (there is more clearance toward the rear of the motor as opposed to the front by in-between 1/8 to 1/4 inch

And when I level the pickup side to side the clearance would be around 5/8 inch measured from the centre of the pickup

I can get the clearance to 3/8 inch on the right side of the pickup and 5/8 to 3/4 on the left (again measure from the middle so front to back increases and reduces the clearance)

What do you guys think I should I do from here? Very annoying trying to get this right

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
This is fine and typical for these things. Trying to fiddle perfection often busts something, you‘re better off to accept approximately right unless you’re prepared to put the money and effort into a blue print solution which with a stock pan and matched pickup hardly sounds like the overall build demands that level of precision.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Sounds like you have the pick-up made for a high volume pump being used on a standard volume.....the HV pump is about 1/4" longer so it hangs down a bit lower. Just a possibility.

What is the depth of your pan??
Std or HV pump??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you have the pick-up made for a high volume pump being used on a standard volume.....the HV pump is about 1/4" longer so it hangs down a bit lower. Just a possibility.

What is the depth of your pan??
Std or HV pump??
Hi mate it's a 8 inch pan and I have a standard pump.

Hmm that makes sense but checking the part number for my pickup it doesn't mention being used with HV pump

I have a standard pump btw

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Since the Melling 305S is recommended for the 8" pan and you have an 8" pan, you might try this....

There is Melling 241S, made for 8.375-8.50" deep pan....so it would fit 1/4-3/8" deeper than the pick-up you have now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just
Since the Melling 305S is recommended for the 8" pan and you have an 8" pan, you might try this....

There is Melling 241S, made for 8.375-8.50" deep pan....so it would fit 1/4-3/8" deeper than the pick-up you have now.
Just did some research on the 241S from Mellkng and its for 8.75 to 9 inch pans which would make it too long for mine :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts