Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting a car with this intake on it. i did a google search on it but didn't find any info on it. i havn't worked on a chevy in a very long time and i've never had a bbc motor before.

anyone know anything about this intake? power range,....ect thanks.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Its basically a single plane race manifold, made for rectangular port heads, rpm range is 3500-8000. Unless you've got a BIG cam, heads, compression and a ton of stall you,ll fall on your face just driving around the streets.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cam is kinda small-- solid [email protected] but it does have a 3500 stall. merlin heads and 10-1 compression, 4.10 gears. i was told the motor was built for high r's. but the cam is a little small for high r's i would think.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
327NUT is correct for sure... With that cam your lucky to get 6000rpm out of the combo... Also the compression is about right for it (the cam I mean) but the intake is a big missmatch... You would really see alot more bottom end going to a Performer RPM dual plane intake either the reg or air gap version...

Also with the Merlin heads which are really good stuff that low of compression is a waste for them... I know the intake is a rectangle port but possibly the heads are ovals...? I have seen this before in both directions so you might get lucky and have oval port Merlins...? Otherwise they are basicly all out race stuff and for the street they just flow to much... Damn good heads though... :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the guy gave me the wrong info on the cam. it's a crane solid f-314-2 248/[email protected] 567/590 lift.
3400-7000 power range, valve float @ 7400 and i have a 3800 stall not a 3500.

the guy told me the heads where oval port. but he also said they where the better flowing of the two :confused:

the car is nasty on the street. i just pulled it into the driveway and haven't drove it yet. but the guy took me for a test drive when i first looked at it and he putted threw first and hit second and smoke the tires down the road.

it's for sure not a daily driver :)

the guy he got the car from built the motor and there still friends so i can get the real info on the heads from him.

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Well sounds more like what it should have except for the manifold to head config...? The R means retangle port and if the Merlins are ovals then its a rather odd missmatch... Torque to be gained by putting the correct manifold on it... The cam is a little large for a 10 to 1 motor but with a BBC it is much easier to get away with than a SBC...

Only thing I would do is to pull the intake and check things out to be sure... But it sounds like a mainly strip setup for now... Nice but nasty... :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm thinking there the rectangle port heads since the guy also told me it had 31 spine axles and then today he told me it has 28 not 31.

i'm going to have him ask the guy that built the motor. you think i could see down the runner if i take the carb off? i'm thinking i could see the bottom of the port. at least on one runner.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm not pulling it apart :) it runs good so i'm leaving it alone. i've already got one car with the heads off of it in my driveway now. i also have a motor to build in the garage :confused: it's going to be a busy winter.

i don't mind it being more of a track car since my 74 javelin will be around 530hp with a 3500 stall and my 71 javelin will be around 450hp with a 2500 stall, "AKA the grocery getter".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts