Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads on my 428 Pontiac resurfaced and new seals and springs installed. It is all back together but I need to know how to adjust the valves. For stock heads it says to torque the rocker nut to 20ftlb. But these are not stock heads. Do I still follow those guidelines or do I adjust the valves like a Chevy

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
azbandit said:
I just had the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads on my 428 Pontiac resurfaced and new seals and springs installed. It is all back together but I need to know how to adjust the valves. For stock heads it says to torque the rocker nut to 20ftlb. But these are not stock heads. Do I still follow those guidelines or do I adjust the valves like a Chevy
If you are still using the facory lifters, and the E-heads are the exact same thickness as the stock heads, you can probably use the 20 lb. adjustment, but if it were me, I would get a set of poly lock nuts and adjust the nuts 1/4 - 1/2 turn down, after zero lash, with the valve closed.

Bill
[email protected]

P.S. By the way, there is NO traditional Pontiac big block, unless you're comparing it with the short-deck 265 0r 301.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The 20 pound item went out the window when you discarded the iron heads and the original bottleneck rocker studs. Stock Pontiac rocker balls sat on the bottleneck portion and the 20 pounds of torque kept things from getting loose.

You should have the polylocks if you have run the heads before, but regardless you need a set. At this point you just need to follow the cam manufacturer's recommendations. Basically hydraulic lifters are going to be set a 1/2 turn from zero clearance, and solid lifters are going to be lashed at whatever the specs are. Or like you asked, the technique is the same as Chevy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
WDCreech fully covered the BB statement at the bottom of his post. ;)

My engine stand doesn't strain with a Pontiac engine on it, but when I work on one of my friend's BB Chevys the stand groans and sags. Pontiac people should be happy that Pontiac didn't add another couple hundred pounds when they increased the cubic inches. And it's so cool to be able to pull out a 326 and drop in a 455 and not only does it fit, but all the accessories bolt right back on...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BBPontiac valve adjustment.

I stand corrected. I should have said larger displacement Pontiac. Anyhow, thanks for the help. I will use the Chevy method since it is a Lunati Bracketmaster II hydraulic cam and Harland Sharp roller rockers. Sorry about BBPontiac mis-statement

·
Buick Hybrid Guy.
255 Posts
just like a SBC on the Eld. heads.

Valve adjustment:

This is not my method but I got it from Crane or Comp many years ago and used it on all our hyd. or Mechanical cams roller or flat tappet.

To set the Intake valve:
roll engine over in direction of rotation untill the exhaust valve just starts to open..... Adjust the intake. (standard: lash w/solid or 1/4to1/2 turn pass 0 lash for hyd.)
To set the Exhaust valve:
Roll engine over in direction of rotation till the intake go's all the way open and 2/3 way back closed. Adjust the exhaust valve. (standard: Lash w/solid or 1/4 to 1/2 turn past 0 lash for hyd.

I've never gotten into trouble using this method. Cyl. by cly is easy. Keep it simple :)
Just like a SBC.
~Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts