Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I draw mine- not much of a photographer. What does your box look like? Let's see who has the shabbiest, piece of crap, taped together, worn out, can't find anything because there's so much stuff piled on it, dirty, greasy, bottom drawer's been stuck for for so long- I don't know what's in it-but don't have time to fix it, tool box of them all. Post your photos, and let's vote.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
preliminary tattoo art

Here's a quick sketch 666. I can clean it up, if this is the general idea of what you want.
Johnnymac

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
My toolbox is just like 666's except black. That is a very good drawing of your toolbox inkwork. I checked out your homepage and have to say that is just crazy how much detail you put into all of the drawings.

Brad

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
njbloodline666 said:
lol mines new

Bragger..... :rolleyes:

J/K man. Nothing says "I'm a professional that takes pride in my work, tools, and abilities" like a Snap-On box. I guess that's why I have 3 Craftsman boxes.....

In a while, Chet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 92,
Unfortunately, my drawing is short of all the real detail, or- crap, that really is on my box. I'll see if I can get a photo up soon. I'm serious- my box is bad, and I don't mean that in a good way. :(
Hey Schnitz- mine is also craftsman.

Johnnymac

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
My Box is an "UltraPro", which is what NAPA sells here in Canada.
The top chest is blue, and the roll cabinet is red.
(Made it easy to spot in the shop - LOL)

Here is a B/W scan that I did from the tool catalog using a Logitech HAND scanner ... many moons ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
schnitz said:
Bragger..... :rolleyes:

J/K man. Nothing says "I'm a professional that takes pride in my work, tools, and abilities" like a Snap-On box. I guess that's why I have 3 Craftsman boxes.....

In a while, Chet.
i actually think i made a mistake buying that box, like 2 or 3 weeks after i purchased it, mac started to offer the deal of the century on boxes

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iv'e had my POS box for so long- when I bought it, it was extreamly expensive at $130.00 brand new. That's the roll away! That was about 15 years ago. Yeah- craftsman, no bearings, thin guage steel, wheels wouldn't lock at first, but now they won't even roll. At this point- I think the stickers are holding it together.

Attachments

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/500/medium/1617Upholstery48.jpg Me haven funnnn.
I have a guy that works for me and I SWEAR he has more tools than a MATCO truck and the Bigggest box! Problem is he doesn't know what end of a 1/2 impact does the work or where he put the tool. He's always accusing the other guys of stealing his tools only to find them in a hidden drawer. You don't have to have a great tool box to know the job. Seems the guys with the biggest fanciest boxes have to be making up for something else lacking. I now how to use my tools and have a 30 yr old SnapOn box, hahah. I don't use the tools for my living anymore. Just ask the wife. :thumbup:

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I bought a MAC top box in 1969 I think it was and the thing had been discontinued then. It is old tech with rounded handles, etc. Another MAC MAN looked at it about fifteen years ago and was fascinated in that he had never seen one that old (and shiny)... :)

And remember, a man is only as good as his tool....

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
KULTULZ said:
I bought a MAC top box in 1969 I think it was and the thing had been discontinued then. It is old tech with rounded handles, etc. Another MAC MAN looked at it about fifteen years ago and was fascinated in that he had never seen one that old (and shiny)... :)

And remember, a man is only as good as his tool....
Since my profession of the '60's became a hobby, I hadn't kept up with the mega/maxi sizes of tool boxes that a lot of mechanics seem to think(know?) that they need. I was absolutely astounded a few of years ago when I took my car into the local Ford dealership for some warranty work. One mech needed a two step step ladder to get to the top of his box. While I don't think I have a lot of tools by today's standard, they are reasonably neatly stored, thank-you. They do fill a 50 year old Snap-on Master box (the old small one) a Craftsman roll cab and intermediate drawers, the back walls of my 3 work benches, five retired lower kitchen cabinets, several retired kitchen wall cabinets and several wood and metal shelves. I need more - tools and storage, there is never enough of either - and very few are foreign made hohummers. :D :D :D :D

Dave

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
Todays techs have lost a lot of productivity just trying to find the plastic box in the box in the box. They buy all these tools in the oversize plastic boxes and haven't figured out how to remove the tools and store them in the tool box in 1/4 the space. Instead they need a HUGE tool box to store all the plastic boxes, then have to find the plastic, open 3 of them before they find the wrench they need. I've been dealing and laughing at it for years. I can't remember how mant plastic boxes I've tossed. The plastic boxes are their disorganizers. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love your comments Mr. snake-bit. Very funny :D I think people just see those plastic cases as something they paid for. Most of us mechanics are cheep bast**ds anyway. Bu I do have to agree, at what point does over-organization take over. I work a lot with lean manufacturing techniques, and organizing ones tools is definitely part of the process. But that is just one, of many, parts to the equation. These guys think that more-is more. When in fact- The more tools you have, the more mess it makes (just look at my garage- I won't throw anything away). The first thing manufacturers do in order to save production time, is to eliminate what is not being used. If a guy works at a brake & lube shop, what the hell does he need a snap-on roll-away for? All he needs is a box to hold a few selected hand tools, a couple air tools and some lube fittings;but noooo. These kids gotta show off how much money they owe to the tool truck. I bet if those guys with the plastic boxes truly evaluated what they need on any given day, and kept only those tools; you would not only have more shop floor space- your productivity would go up for lack of "tool searching." Plus, your accident rate would most likely decline, because the guys would'nt need to move as much(no looking for tools) and would have less tripping hazards. But other than that- Hey when it comes to boxes, the bigger the better. :D

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
inkwork said:
But other than that- Hey when it comes to boxes, the bigger the better. :D
I have a friend (Ford Technician) who has SEVERAL smaller boxes (at his shop at home), rather than one gi-normous one. Granted ... each succession does seem to be a bit bigger than the last, but he still doesn't need a step-ladder to get to the top tray.

He's a "jack-of-all-trades" kind of guy ... so he tends to have boxes suited to each kind of job. (Body work, steering/suspension, transmission / engine overhaul, etc.) He even has an old clunker of a box ... which is nearly worn out ... that he uses to store things like wire ties, hole plugs, cord ends, vaccuum caps, etc. He seems very well organized, and tends to get things done a lot faster than some of the other techs that I know.

No ... not all of the tools are Snap-On, either. Mostly Craftsman, Westward, UltraPro (NAPA Brand) and other even cheaper crap (KD, Lisle, etc.)

His theory is that if he REALLY needs that 900 ft/lb 1/2" impact, he'll bring it home from work with him. Otherwise, the 600 ft/lb no-name old clunker will do.

He has been known to buy these boxes/tools from apprentices who are upgrading their old tools to the new, shiny, expensive stuff.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts