Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever taken the dowel pins out of the back of a Chevy V8 block?
I have to remove mine to install offset adjustable ones to index a blowproof bellhousing. Lakewood says a pair of Vise Grips or a drift punch and hammer.
My engine is still in the car but I can remove the headers and a few other things to be able to get to the pins from the front I think.
Anyone been there,done that ???????
Thanks , Gene

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eric, did you do your dowel pins in the car or out and big block or small block? Mine is a 69 Chevelle with a big block, I think I may be able to do the passengers side from the front with a long drift punch its a pretty straight shot but the drivers dowel from the front is blocked by the boss for the clutch pivot ball and threaded boss for the oil pressure fittings.
May end up taking the engine out or making some kind of puller to pull it out from the back ???????????????
Gene

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
Big Block, hanging on the engine crane, dialed the bell before we put it in the car. Had to get at the drivers side at an angle because of the boss, but it was years ago and my memory may be foggy about the way we did the drivers side. Most of the time it is Small Blocks anymore.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Easy way is to use a C clamp. Place a very short 1/2 " bolt in the hole(oppsite flywheel side) ; place a socket (just larger than the dowell) over the dowell; then tighten C clamp. Usually the eng. needs to be removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.