Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am removing the gearbox from my 55 2nd series pickup. I have the tailshaft out and gear box removed. I have unbolted the bellhousing but cannot get it out past the bellhousing mount crossmember. Am I doing something wrong or do I need to tilt the whole engine to get it past this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
I take it you have the engine supported, as the front mounts are right at the front?

Might be easiest to move the engine forward to give some room, but I am thinking if its a six cylinder, you arent going to have much room to do that unless the rad etc comes out too

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
Guess what!!
You need to remove the motor to get it out. Designed that way!
I think the engineers thought it would never need to come out. They did make that clutch inspection cover big enough to get the clutch out though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas. It's a 283 v8. Was hoping not to have to move the engine but looks like i will have to.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've had mine (56) out while the engine was installed several times. Remove the bell housing mounts and elevate the rear of the engine. There is plenty of room to remove the bell housing. Watch the radiator/fan clearance. Mine had no issues.
Are you doing a T5 swap?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Ill give that a go. Actually doing a t56 swap. I hope It goes ok as I haven't read of too many being done. No doubt ill be posting a few more questions quite soon.

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
Thing is, if you are not using the bellhousing with the mounts, you will have a real long distance from front to rear mounts.....Would be best to put side mounts on the engine...a lot less stress on the aluminum bellhousing

·
Registered
282 Posts
Poncho is right. Too much distance from the front mounts to a rear trans mount. Adding side mounts while the engine is sitting on the factory mounts is easy. I have the T5 with a 3.42 rear gear and really cant use 5th until 55mph or so. I can't imagine needing another gear.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
If you need the Hyd clutch parts, or decide to go mechanical, the guys at Hawks Third Gen Parts can help you out. They swap these gearboxes into all kinds of things. If your trans was indeed converted from an LT style to an LS Style, do you know if they changed the front mounting plate on the transmission? This uses a concentric throw out bearing assembly that the input gear passes through; you really need to use an LS bellhousing for this setup because the LT and LS have different length maindrives (input gears).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts