Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Olds three zero seven "y" motor in a eighty six Cutlass four forty two, with maybe 100 miles on the motor. The belts developed a bad squeal at high RPM's. I found there was an alignment problem with the belts, which I corrected. The noise was still there. I replaced my power steering pump with new pulley and hoses thinking since it was the original with over 100 thousand on it, maybe the barrings are going causing the pump to run slower than the engine speeds making the belts slip, causing the noise. No good. All belts were replaced with new. Alternator and water pump are new. Tensions on belts are good. I've tried isolating each accessory separately from each other. Running the motor to see if something else although new, could have went bad. No good. I was thinking the pulleys on the water pump and the crank case are still original. Could this be a possibility? They don't look bent or dented. Any ideas? Is there after maket replacements or because it is a GM, what other motors could have used the same exact pulleys?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.