Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My belt squeals when I first start up after the car sits for a few weeks or so. Not sure if its the alternator or ac belt. Should I just replace all the belts on my 350 sbc, I've tried tighting them. I also added a chrome pulley on the alternator some time ago, not sure if that could be causing it. Oh the crazy thing is that it stops squealing after i let it warm up for a while and drive it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The alternator belt on my '75 350 sometimes squeals on startup because the battery is rundown a little and the alternator kicks in very quickly to bring it up to full charge. Its annoying, but does not hurt anything. As soon as the alternator goes to a normal charge rate and the belt warms up a little, I never have a problem with the belt slipping

It will help to change the belt, but probably not cure the problem if you have a chrome pulley. They are a little too slippery sometimes as the alternator kicks in.

Bruce

·
Banned
385 Posts
If you can live with it, then maybe that is what you may want to do.

One way to determine which belt is squeaking is to spray a little water on each pulley where the belt contacts while the engine is running (BE CAREFUL AND STAY AWAY FROM THE FAN--see my other post on changing the fan belt with the engine running:) ).

When the squealing stops you've determined which pulley/and or belt it is. You could try changing belts---i think gates is really good quality. Or try running some steel wool along the grove of the pulley to roughen it up a bit---but don't get too carried away.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, it is annoying so I can't live with it. Even though I don't drive it much, but when I do I don't like for the squealing to stop before I drive. I will try what y'all suggested before I go in and just change all of them

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried the belt dressing before but never helped. Im thinking its of my alternator current is drained when I first start it up and it takes a while for it charge,maybe or the belts just needs replaced. Because I left the charger on it overnight and this morning it fired right up with no squeals.

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Your chrome pulley is probably the culprit. Try replacing your alternator belt with a notched type v-belt and tension it properly. A notched belt is less likely to slip.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.