Hot Rod Forum banner

Bench top drill press tray issue

212 8
Hello guys I have a 8 inch bench top drill press that I use on the occasion and I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out what to do. I am trying to fix a few carburetor main bodies and install screw in boosters but the problem is the tray part of my drill press is not very strong. You can just barely push down on the edge of the tray and it moves enough to cause issues when doing this procedure or if you are drilling holes into things as well as because of this problem it will cause the angle to go off.

I have successfully done this before on some main bodies and trying to hold the tray with one hand and the main body at the same time while doing the machining of the main body with the proper bit for the job but I have also messed up at times because of the issue of it flexing on me. Can you guys provide on what I can do to fix this problem or something to help? I can't put anything underneath it to try and stabilize it and keep from moving as I need a certain amount of height to get the main body as close as possible and also have the main body supported during the process. Thanks guys.
Gas Composite material Machine Wood Engineering

Camera accessory Film camera Camera lens Gas Cameras & optics
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Race it, Don't rice it!
9,750 Posts
Rigidity isn't a strong suit of cheap bench style pillar drills.
Wood blocks, metal plates, shims, etc. under the table are all you can do to add support without a compete redesign on the column.
Sharp drill bits are important.

Your best set up is a small mill for accurate work.

· Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the drill press itself is more then strong enough to handle the job as the bit is very sharp and digs right in no problem but its just the tray is so flexible without much pressure being put on it. I have tried to stack things underneath it but I can't find the right stuff I have on hand and boards of different sizes are either too much or to little regardless of what size I have. I think a scissor jack would be way too high to be able to fit underneath it. I have about just a hair under 3 and 3/4 of an inch on the furthest part out. The tray is not complete flat underneath as it hills downward towards the back.

Johnsongrass1 do you know of a mill that would hookup to my drill press that would allow me to do what I need without breaking the bank if such a thing exist. I am sort of new to bench top stuff like the drill press and things that can be done with them.

· Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
347 Posts
Remove the junk tray altogether. Put a couple of 4x4 wooden blocks on each side of the base and go buy a couple of 3" wide x 1/4" thick steel bars at Home Depot. Lay them across the 4x4 blocks....there's your tray.

· Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
evintho that is a great idea.I would not have thought of that. I will give that a try and see if at my local hardware store if they have something like that to get. The nearest home depot is over a 45 minute drive from where I live. I will see about see if some local shops have some steel bar.

· Registered
436 Posts

· Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what would be something good that would not break the bank? Not looking to spend a bunch on something that is only used sparingly over time and just here and there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts