Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after another 2 hours on my back playing with motor mounts, and what a beeotch i might add the stock ones were to install over the $43 each plastic ES ones, i have come to the conclusion my frame got bent alittle in the ditch/dui accident. it is about 1" off from lining up on one side. i have looked at all cross members and can't find what is bent. i think alittle of everything. my 1&1/8" or 1/4" sway bar is bent. think if i unbolted it that the frame might move??? $400 at a frame shop to straighten it out. out of my budget. i think i will have to find a telephone pole and a come-along. when i towed it home it seemed like it was tracking straight and true so i didnt think it was messed up.

on the grand am front, still no progress, havent had a chance to work on it, nor the cadillac, so neither runs either. well the caddy runs, just still not charging. i thought i could get the truck going with just a motor mount swap (stock ones were only $8 each) but NO! storm moving in today. rain forecast for the week end. i have spent like 8 hours under my truck already this week. think i will pull off the whole front end group and make it easier to get a come along on. have to change out the pass fender anyway, was just hoping my wife would be able to drive it. guess not.:(

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Look your frame over carefully...You should find and area thats pushed in or just out of shape..bulging...you will need to make some relief cuts in the frame and heat it up and pull it back out and re-weld your cuts.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

3,214 Posts
Do you have any friendly body shops in your area? If so, see if you can get a print out of the frame specs for whatever it is that you are working on. I do not recommend cutting the frame to relieve it for pulling. This will likely weaken it. It should be pulled back to where it is supposed to be, without heat or cutting if possible. It would be a shame to cause more damage to the frame while trying to fix it and save money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts