Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A current project requires seperation of the hood outer skin from the internal structure then I'll have to re-attach with new foam/glue spots. I've used a few different products in the past with sometimes poor results. Just curious what products any of you recomend? Fusor 124? 3M 08463? Duramix?
Bob

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Only one true one made.

Duramix NVH, will not expand or suckin (0 solvents - two part) and that is the only thing it is made to do and it does it right.

Working time is about 5 minutes.
Paint-able in an hour.
Black in color.
Around 2000 lb tensile strength
Around 1200-1800 lbs lap sheer strength. ( per sq inch)
All approx as going by memory.

This is not one of their three foam products, totally separate.

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
I used 3M 8115 panel bonding adhesive when I reglued the hood brace to the skin on the duelly, Was that a "bad" thing?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike, You might see the glue spots when she sits in the hot sun, my experience using different panel adhesives and some urethane sealer/adhesives is if the product won't let the two pieces of metal expand seperately then they show themselves with what appears to be warpage when there's a major change in temperature. The foams used in structural areas expand too much and will distort the panel during cure. I haven't tried the 3M stuff or the Fusor 124 but if Barry says the Duramix is the way to go I'll give it a whirl. Bob

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
I would say it's similar to what the factory used. My supplier recommended it and I'm sure no expert at the body aspect so I went with what he said.
What exactly is this whole "flutter" thing about anyway?
I have my own concept of it from the air turbulence on the skin panels and have seen some type of foam looking material on late model rides. The older vehicles i deal with just has a "tar" looking sealer which is fairly ridgid. All I know is,It does not seem to have very good adhesion.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Bee4Me said:
I would say it's similar to what the factory used. My supplier recommended it and I'm sure no expert at the body aspect so I went with what he said.
What exactly is this whole "flutter" thing about anyway?
I have my own concept of it from the air turbulence on the skin panels and have seen some type of foam looking material on late model rides. The older vehicles i deal with just has a "tar" looking sealer which is fairly ridgid. All I know is,It does not seem to have very good adhesion.
The old cars used a sheet of dampener between the skin and brace in last 20 (or more) some years you will see a round piece of what looks like a foam or spongy urethane every so many inches inside deck lids, hoods and door skins and that is there sole purpose to keep the outer panel from fluttering or vibrating.

Depending where the brace is and strength of metal things like window sealer, panel bonding adhesive and foams can swell and shrink like Bob said.

On the 55 Chev I replaces all the tar with a shot of Duramix every six inches and it worked great.

You will notice on any of the new cars if you break a piece of the dampening agent off it may look like foam but it really a dense polyurethane for flex and strength.

First picture is from 50's, note the staples.
second picture is new see the spot blobs.

Attachments

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
BarryK said:
The old cars used a sheet of dampener between the skin and brace in last 20

First picture is from 50's, note the staples.
second picture is new see the spot blobs.
The second picture.

All the early 60s fords that I do have body seam sealer blobbed on the strut before the skin is applied. Of course it is dead now, and sometimes gone.

I just gently pry the panel out all along at once with nylon wedges, and squirt in seam sealer from the "caulk tube", let the panel down, and it looks factory. Factory never was consistent anyway, so who will know it has been restored?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey only one number off-that's good IMO! Yesterday I was asked what my Wife's Social Security number was-no way in hell I had that number memorized...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I need to revive this old thread because DuraMix doesn't offer this part number any longer, according to the 3M website. Obselete is what it shows.

I gotta have the best stuff out there. The hood is a '78 TransAm and some of the bracing is cut away from the factory to allow the shaker to stick through the hood. The rest of the bracing needs all the help it can get.

What is my best bet now or is there a replacement part number I'm unaware of??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts