Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I put up the tools against$300
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got an aluminum intake manifold that I would like to clean up. I've got 80 grit glass bead and was wondering if this would be the appropriate media to use. I've heard of the glass bead impregnating itself into some materials. Is this the case with aluminum?

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
Shells are good. I use #13 glass bead myself. 80 is a little rough and unless it's just really nasty,I'd go with something finer.Finer grit will polish instead of cut. Most are rough cast anyway and they will clean up nice without a heavy duty media.
Horror stories abound about blasting intakes and I can believe some of them but I have had NO problem with it.Common sense goes a LONG way and a THOUROUGH cleaning is necessary after blasting reguardless of WHAT media you use.
Thing about aluminum is to blow dry it with CLEAN compressed air after washing. If you let it air dry on it's own,it will spot and look like shemp.
This is a Team G 2 I did. One of many.
Last is some Holley valve covers that were painted. I blasted them and polished the "smooth" section under the logo.

Attachments

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,648 Posts
Another vote for #13 glass beads... Junkyard C-4 front suspension clip after an hour in the cabinet, plus a new P-S-T kit.

Russ

Attachments

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
egal brand mag wheel cleaner works good on intakes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
best blasting media for alum

I use silicone glass beads in my blaster cabinet. There are available (and cheap) at any company that sells highway paint (the yellow and white stripes thay paint on the highway).

·
Problem Child,Hard Case
1,773 Posts
My neighbor gave me a 5 gal bucket full of that, I had no idea "what" it was exactly,looked like glass bead of some sort. It's what they put in the paint for reflection. I've used it and it does a good job but it's a little corse IMO.
I was a little concerned about using it from a health stand point but my cabinet is power vented outside but you still get some dust. :confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
re: best blasting media for aluminum

Bee4Me: yes, this is the material that makes the paint reflective. However, just for the record, it is not mixed in the paint, it is simply dropped onto the wet paint. For the record, it is available in different bead sizes, if the one you tried is to coarse, try another size. Always wear a mask when handling, and don't allow the beads to set around unprotected. They will absorb moisture. I have been using these for several years, and sometimes my supplier has a few damaged bags, and he just gives them to me...good deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts