Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a new project which will need a narrowed rear end. I have a complete GM 8.5 inch 10-bolt 3 Series Posi in excellent condition which is more than strong enough but several inches too wide. There are several local shops capable of shortening the housing but I will need new axles. Who has the best buy on street/strip quality axles ? This will be about a 3,000Lb car with a torquey 406 SBC; built 200-4R and 4.10 gears running a max tire width of 10 inches and I'm trying to build it as cheaply as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
...another option

How wide and what bolt pattern do you need?

If you need it to be around 54" wide and 5 on 4.75" getting a s10 8.5" could be an option. I got a free full size 8.5" axle and by the time I narrowed it, bought new axles, and disc brakes it was cheeper to just get a 30 spline 8.5" 10-bolt with dics brakes out of a 2000 Blazer. I picked it up for $550 total.

Axle shafts alown are going to set you back around $250. Personally I would buy Superior axles if I needed new ones.

s10 8.5" axles arn't that easy to find but this will help you ID one if that is how you want to go.
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=33490&highlight=10bolt

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Triaged said:
...another option

How wide and what bolt pattern do you need?

If you need it to be around 54" wide and 5 on 4.75" getting a s10 8.5" could be an option. I got a free full size 8.5" axle and by the time I narrowed it, bought new axles, and disc brakes it was cheeper to just get a 30 spline 8.5" 10-bolt with dics brakes out of a 2000 Blazer. I picked it up for $550 total.
s10 8.5" axles arn't that easy to find but this will help you ID one if that is how you want to go.
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=33490&highlight=10bolt
Well I would need one about 54" wide with 5 on 4.75" BC................... :cool:

I had heard rumors that '96 and newer S-10 4X4's used the 8.5 but had not had it confirmed until now. POIFECT!!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The 8.5's are few and FAR bewteen...but they do exist. It has to be out of a truck with the "W" vin L35 H.O. 4.3L and a stick. Most stick trucks had the standard 4.3L. They started using the 8.5" in 96 but it is 98-up Blazers that came with the disc brakes.

Look for the flare in the axle tube right before it goes into the center section.

Also print out the pics I posted in that other thread when you go to pick it up...I looked at 3 (at least!) "8.5in 10-bolts" before I found one that wasn't a 7.625.:spank:

·
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Triaged, the guy with the car I was looking at just e-mailed me last night and dangled another "carrot" in front of me, if the pics of it are any good and we can work a deal I may be able to use my 8.5" as-is with only a gear change, might srtill opt for some stronger axles though. It's a heavier car and has larger wheel wells.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts