Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you car gurus. I keep dreaming of building a Gen V 454 with a little pep above stock. I want make as much streetable HP as possible without spending a fortune. First, I'm looking to put in some pistons with 22 cc domes to try to get the compression ratio up to about 9.4:1. With the peanut heads (10114156) having 118 cc combustion chambers and with some pistons like the ones I mentioned, I should get close to 9.4:1. Now, what would be the most streetable cam to go with this combination to produce good power and still use the stock converter, pushrods, and rocker arms? Heck, if I could, I'd use the stock springs too but I don't expect to be able to do that. I've read that if the lift of the cam is over .500 that the stock springs are useless. I've been doing a lot of reading on cams since TechInspector1 responded to another thread and have decided that the cam I thought would be good is not a good choice. I don't want to invest in roller lifters or rockers. I just want an engine that sounds good with a little rumpity rump at idle and can make power from idle to around 5000 rpm. And from what I've been reading, the heads I have are only good to about 4000 to 4500 RPM.

So, any ideas as to the best of all worlds "go between" cam for such a configuration?

Thanks in advance to any responders.

Spicer411

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Well, all I can tell you is what I would use if it were my motor.

Howards CL120235-12 hydraulic roller cam and roller lifters kit.
Howards 98636-K32 spring, retainer and lock kit.
Howards 94580 solid aluminum thrust button. Trim to fit and allow 0.005" to 0.008" thrust play.
Cut a piece of flat steel, 1/8" thickness (0.125") to fit inside the front cover and tack weld it in. This will allow a solid wall for the thrust button to push against without bowing out the front of the thin sheet metal cover. Alternately, use a cast aluminum front cover.
This cam will exhibit strong low end and mid-range power and torque, smooth idle and good gas mileage on premium pump gas. If you build a good, tight squish/quench into the motor, it might do it on 87 octane pump gas without detonating.

The lopey idle you're lookin' for won't work with your low static compression ratio, unless you use one of those Fosdick CompCams Thumpr cams......
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-11-600-8/overview/make/chevrolet
But you're giving away power to get the sound....If you're OK with that, go for it. Use the CompCams roller lifters and thrust button.

Whatever you do, don't try to use a flat tappet cam in a big block Chevy with aftermarket springs.

And for those of you who don't know Fosdick, he was a detective on the Dick Tracy comic strips who was constantly screwin' up. So, anything that's screwed up, to me, is Fosdick.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
To do a "proper" cam swap you will be spending a little cash. The peanut heads need help,,,

You need a performer rpm intake and a well built Q-jet. You need small diameter long tube headers and a very free flowing exhaust system.(Like dual 3 with cross over.) I would clone the cam Richard chose but with 5º more duration. You will use the complete cam kit.The engine may not have a lumpy exhaust sound but wfo will sound amazing!

If you are using a factory F.I. system tell us about that first as that changes the problem.

·
camarodriver67
434 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
14081052 heads

Can the heads below be mated to the Gen V 454 engine?

Details for 14081052

Casting Number14081052Added to Site2010-12-25 18:03:33 (2248 days ago)ManufacturerChevroletCategoryCylinder HeadsTypeBig Block V8Date1985-1987Notesoval port, open chamber, 366 tall deck, 427 tall deck, 454 Truck, Marked "HiPerf"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I can't spend $665 just for a cam and lifters. I found some oval port heads online and thought I might be better off with them. I have a pickup truck that I want put this 454 in. I've read a thousand articles and forums concerning putting older heads on the Gen V block. Many talk like it can be done without trouble and others claim it's almost impossible to make it work without internal coolant leaks. I want something that'll rev and continue to make power up to around 5500 RPM. From what I've been reading, the heads I have are only good to about 4000 - 4200 RPM and then they fall flat on their faces. What do you think about this particular build using peanut heads?

Cheap Big-Block Chevy Engine Build - Hot Rod Network

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
reiterate what I posted?

Well, I can't spend $665 just for a cam and lifters. I found some oval port heads online and thought I might be better off with them. I have a pickup truck that I want put this 454 in. I've read a thousand articles and forums concerning putting older heads on the Gen V block. Many talk like it can be done without trouble and others claim it's almost impossible to make it work without internal coolant leaks. I want something that'll rev and continue to make power up to around 5500 RPM. From what I've been reading, the heads I have are only good to about 4000 - 4200 RPM and then they fall flat on their faces. What do you think about this particular build using peanut heads?

Cheap Big-Block Chevy Engine Build - Hot Rod Network
The engine you found is what I said you can have. I would listen to Richard about a roller on a rat. Butt;if you want to save nothing then buy a flat tappet hydraulic cam,,,

how much extra over a couple years will it cost for additives that the roller doesn't need? Same price in the long run but you get to use a cheap lower performing cam!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts