Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
What intake manifold? What tranny? What rear gears? What rpm redline?
With Cal's tough smog law's, passing the emission's test is going to be your first concern. Maybe you need to ask Arnold! :D Seriosly though, I would be thinking about a vacuum secondary Holley around 780 cfm. You could go bigger, but concider this, your going to be on the "street" 99% of the time, and a weekend warrior 1%. Your going to want something mild mannered that will work well without allot of mod's. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A 3310 holley 750 vacuum secondary with a square flange edelbrock rpm intake. Holley also makes a nice dual plane intake with a square flange for the BBC. Don't use the rpm air gap intake if you plan to drive the car on cool days (less than 50 or 60 degrees). carbs need heat in the intake to run correctly on cool days.

I have tuned many 3310's. You will most likely need to drill a 0.080" hole in each front throttle blade and change the front jets to 69's or 70's.

use the vacuum advance on a manifold source. Use a crane adjustable vacuum advance canister (summit racing).

set total advance to 40 degrees mechanical, 18 initial, then plug vacuum advance to a manifold source to run 30 at idle and 52 on the highway (12 more from the vacuum advance). BBC's need lots of timing.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
sqzbox said:
Q jet? With the thimble sized primary's? Are you kidding? No part throttle performance there! The only time it's fun is when you have your foot to the floor sucking gas! :p
Ummm... carbs offer more airflow with more throttle. It doesn't matter how big the primaries are, it matters where your foot is... between 0 and 800 cfms are available.

And actually part throttle drivability with the Qjet is unmatched.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I realize a sprint cup car doesn't drive on the street, But as far as the Q-jet compared to holley's goes, I've had 2 quad's and 2 Edel's on my 350.
The quad's worked good but like I stated, the quad's didn't do anything for me unless I was at WOT. The edelbrocks were a little improvment at part throttle but WOT sucked. When I put the same CFM as the edelbrocks with a holley, WOW, what a difference.
This is just my opinion and not that of all others. Like you, diff. strokes for diff. folks. I'll never go back to either after feeling the difference the holley has over the others. :D

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
That's the same thing I did with my holley! I let my wife drive to the store after I changed it over and she squealed the tires from a stop sign. I asked her "what are you doing"? she said I don't know, I just pushed down on the gas like I always did, what did you do to it? I told her I put a MAN carburetor on it!
This is a 76 4x4, stock cam, with bolt-on's, and a shift kit with 4:10's weighing 5000 lbs. and it's fun as all git-out to drive. Now, she want's to drive it around and leave the GP in the garage!...... :D
When your married 29yrs and you get spousal approval, your doing something right! :cool:

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
If you couldn`t get a Quadrajet to do that, then you didn`t have it tuned correctly. I`ve used almost ever carb there is except a predator. On the street engine a Quadrajet gives ultra sensitive throttle response and the massive secondary`s provide all the flow needed at wide open throttle. If you know how to tune a Quadrajet it`s almost as good as fuel injection.
Holley`s work very well for bolt on and go, but that`s not how I run the show. I take my time and tune the carb the application carefully.
I don`t like Holley`s due to them being cheaply made and lack of quality control. most of the new ones i`ve taken out of the box I had to fix them before they could be used. Same goes for demons.

·
throw me under the bus agian
169 Posts
quadrajet

i too am in the same boat, my motor comes home today, ( 454, 10.1 comp, lumpy cam, eddl intake, HEI dist, adj. vac can, non roller ) and im at carb selection. i got a guy that has a 750 eddlbrocker ( new, 200$ ) a demon 850 ( new, 300$ ) or should i start looking for a quadrajet, and pay my builder to tune it? i could never tune those right, only the eddlbrocks i had any luck with prolly because they were really close right out of the box. the motor is going in a 75 stepside that is only really going on the street for fun, i got other cars

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
DOUBLEVISION, I agree on the new one's! That's why I got an older model.
I definitely don't like PLASTIC FLOAT'S. I like Holley's because their so easy to work on. I never did like having to pull the top of the carb off to get to anything. I bought an older model 4160 for 25 bucks and a kit for 26 bucks, and it works like a new one! Maybe it's just me, I've worked on a bunch of quad's since the early 70's, and carters/edelbrock's and just didn't get the performance out of them that I did with the holley's. Especially on big block's.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Ah well, different carbs for different people. Stick with your strengths on`em.
I hate edelbrocks as I can`t stand the in the rear of the carb fuel inlet. Holley`s are simple to work on and that`s why they are loved so much but I don`t like straight boosters and Downleg boosters are completely worthless. I once had a 600 holley that was new and within a year the secondary butterfly bushings were completely shot, they are 5 cent plastic pieces you couldn`t get a replacement for.
I can find a Quad in good shape, build it cheap, tune it to the application and have everything I want in a carb. Figuring out how to tune a Quad isn`t much harder than any other carb. I like the top removal idea, this way if I`m on the fly I can open it up, fix it and put it back together without getting fuel all over a hot intake. There`s also a simple trick you can do on a Quad, if the needle and seat have trash in it making it stick open, all you have to do is stick a small screwdriver through the hole in the top of the carb which will push the float all the way down opening the needle fully, turn the engine over or turn on the electric fuel pump, the incoming fuel flushes the trash out, remove the screw driver and start it. So to speak, having fooled with Quads enough, the things some consider disadvantages about them I call advantages, it just depends how it`s looked at I guess.

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
DOUBLEVISION, Here is an example of what can be had on craigslist.
Two older style 600cfm 4160's. 55 bucks for 1 or 100 for both. with a 26 buck rebuild kit, a person could have a like new carb with the good part's not the new crap! So, 81 bucks is a lot better than what holley is getting for the newer model's with sub-standered ****** part's in them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Q-jets are better than a holley on the street if you get one that works right. I have been messing with a group of q-jets for a few years now and it is hard to get them to work. These carbs are 20 to 40 years old now, they get clogged up in places that are tough to get to and bushing always need to be replaced. It will cost 500.00 and 6 months to get a q-jet done correctly (by Cliff). Avoid Jet and Summit Racing q-jets as they don't work very well. If you still decide to get one of these, save the box, you will be needing it to send it back.

so, the only other carb to use is a holley 3310, which can be had for 225.00. I have been using one on my truck and v8 powered Z-car for over 10 years now and they still work great.

what ever you do, don't use an edelbrock /carter carb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.