Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im ready to break-in my rebuilt ford 390 9.5 to 1 forged pistons crane 901 hyd cam fpa long tube headers stock ford 4bbl intake rebuilt cj heads basically a mild street build maybe 335 hp.Which carb would be best edelbrock or holley? Thanks mike

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
My own preference is Holley, I think a 650 vac. sec./ elec. choke would work fine for a mild 390 or thier new 670 Street Avenger. But regardless of what you get you'll have to TUNE it for your application. I also think a 750 is way too big for a 302 unless its a race car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Personaly opion is both carb brands when properly sized and tuned are good choices. If you have not done alot of carburator work or tuning the edelbrock would be alittle more user freindly and with a basic tuning kit for the carb of choice would be easier to tune in. Holley carbs tend to take alittle more knowledge and time to really get them dialed in close.

As far as size goes, it kind of depends on rpm range and a few other things. If the main use is going to be street performance and normal cruising a 600 edelbrock performer or 650 edelbrock thunder series should perform well and still retain decent effeicency when properly tuned. The thunder series gives you extra secondary tuning ability if needed.

I currently average about 40 after hour carb jobs a year or more. I work on all brands old and new. As far as new carbs go I prefer tuning edelbrocks as they tend to be easier and faster to acheive a good tune. You just have to remember none of these carbs are ready to go out of the box and may need internal as well as external adjustments to make them work properly.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Run a 351M & 390, both with Edelbrock 650 Electric Choke carbs. Had Holleys in the past. Like the Edelbrock because it's so easy to change metering rods & jets without dumping fuel bowls, and for some reason, I have a lot better luck getting the off idle settings the way I want with the Edelbrocks. Liked the ease of accelerator pump changes on the Holleys, but it'll be Edelbrocks for me on anything from 350-408 cubes. Above that, I like Thermoquads...

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
62galaxiguy said:
Im ready to break-in my rebuilt ford 390 9.5 to 1 forged pistons crane 901 hyd cam fpa long tube headers stock ford 4bbl intake rebuilt cj heads basically a mild street build maybe 335 hp.Which carb would be best edelbrock or holley?

Thanks mike
If this thing has been built to CJ specs, it needs a 735 CFM 4150 HOLLEY. No other carburetor has any business on a FORD. Save the CARTERS and ROCHESTERS for the BOW-TIE BOYS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Best carb for a 390 Ford fe?

You could ask the Tech @ BG guy here on this board and he might recommend one of Barry Grants Mighty Demon carbs,these are a well designed carb in my opinion,I bought one last summer and am very pleased with it,but they need to be correctly matched to your application,and as also noted,some tuning is usually needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
in my opinion, demon carbs haven't been around long enough to warrant the prices they are asking for their carbs. I see them on show cars, but I have yet to see one at the track, and I would never shell out that kind of money for an unproven part. Holleys are still the leader and I suspect they always will be. but for your application I would go with an edelbrock. they're good, very user friendly, and very affordable. and get rid of that stock intake; it might be a mild street build but it deserves better...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Best carb for a 390 Ford fe?

Unless prices have drastically changed in less than a year the Barry Grant carbs are cheaper than Holley's,and also if wyomingoutlaw were to have a close look at one he would quickly see that the Mighty Demon is quite similar in design to a Holley,but very much improved upon,they are manufactured from billet aluminum instead of the prone to leaking cast material of a Holley.As far as not seeing them at the track,mine was at the track last summer,and so were at least 2 of my buddies who occasionally race their cars,and this was at a little track/airfield in the middle of nowheres.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
KULTULZ said:
If this thing has been built to CJ specs, it needs a 735 CFM 4150 HOLLEY. No other carburetor has any business on a FORD. Save the CARTERS and ROCHESTERS for the BOW-TIE BOYS.

That's right!!!!!!!!

And they used points, too..... and carbon core wires........ and SC rated oil.

:D :thumbup:

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
KULTULZ said:
I gots one of them there carbs in my garage. I gots it in a trade. Me thinks it was from an 80's 5.0 muskrat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guy Hiltz said:
Unless prices have drastically changed in less than a year the Barry Grant carbs are cheaper than Holley's,and also if wyomingoutlaw were to have a close look at one he would quickly see that the Mighty Demon is quite similar in design to a Holley,but very much improved upon,they are manufactured from billet aluminum instead of the prone to leaking cast material of a Holley.
I guess prices have changed (not ever since I've noticed since BG have always been considerably more, but...) in Jegs a holley double pumper 750 is $399.99, the BG 750 is $764.99. yes I have seen them and obviously they are based on a holley, and I will admit they are a very clean looking carb, but, and I'm not being argumentative here since I have never tried one, do you think they are worth that much more money?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.