Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 65 stang....make a long story short i have to get a new carb. right now its got a a edelbrock......the stang is my type of weekend car,,,,is it worth rebuliding or buying a new one? or is there any new carb out there thats better....i looking for a realible carb that you dont have to deal with. alot kinda a more bang for the buck deal.
any input would be great thanks

jose

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
OK...is it a stock 289? is it a weekend cruiser ?basically are we talking a stock 289? what kind of RPM does it see ?, kind of hard to help without some help from you

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
strong stang

If its stock, I wouldnt put more than a 500 CFM 4bbl on it. If you have some goodies in it, a 600 CFM is all it needs. That will give you plenty of fuel and air out past 7000 RPM.

The production 4 bbl carb on the 289's, 210 hp version, was a 480 CFM Ford/ Autolite.

I would also use a vacuum secondary carb, and adjust the vacuum spring to suit your driving needs.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Glad someone agrees with me

Im glad that someone agrees with me on carburation for a change. It seems that all too many people think that the way to big hp is to slap on a double throwdown disconbobulated double pumper something or other with 9 Kazillion CFM.
I have read several articles written on carburation, by the gurus, and they have always said, when selecting a carburetor if there is a doubt, its always better to err on the small side.

In my own personal experience, Running a 600 CFM Holley on a Twisted Wedge headed 351, the engine pulled strong to pegging out an 8000 RPM tack and was still going strong at that point when I backed out, not wanting to hand grenade the engine.
Carbs will continue to feed an engine well past the formulaic numbers.
Remember, the Nextel Cup guys are running 390 CFM carbs with a restrictor plate under them that has even smaller ports in it and are turning 7000 RPM and more. And making over 600 hp in the process, on 350/351/360 CID engines.

Go to most any stock car track and you will find the Late Model stock cars running 390's as well, if the rules dictate them, and these guys are turning near 8000 RPM some times, and making bucket fulls of power in the process.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
The Edelbrock is a fine carb for your engine also.I have had two of them on different motors and had no troubles as far as a performance standpoint.Bothe were 600 cfm carbs.I currentley run a 625 on my 350.I remember falling into the bigger is better category when I first got into cars.My eyes were dead set on a Holly 750 Double-Pumper 4 Barrell Car scootin carb.I found out how wrong I was putting that thing on a 350.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Re: strong stang

Max Keith said:
If its stock, I wouldnt put more than a 500 CFM 4bbl on it. If you have some goodies in it, a 600 CFM is all it needs. That will give you plenty of fuel and air out past 7000 RPM.

The production 4 bbl carb on the 289's, 210 hp version, was a 480 CFM Ford/ Autolite.

I would also use a vacuum secondary carb, and adjust the vacuum spring to suit your driving needs.
Max, the real world of carbs just doesn't work like that. Small block Fords like more CFMs than you would think.

I would go with a 600 or 650 CFM vacuum secondary. A 600 DP would work nicely also.

Here is a good carb also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33550&item=7939867434&rd=1

It is the new Holley. They have annular boosters. That is a huge plus. This carb would get very good mileage and would make more power than the Edelbrock.

RCastle said:
The Edelbrock is a fine carb for your engine also.I have had two of them on different motors and had no troubles as far as a performance standpoint.Bothe were 600 cfm carbs.I currentley run a 625 on my 350.I remember falling into the bigger is better category when I first got into cars.My eyes were dead set on a Holly 750 Double-Pumper 4 Barrell Car scootin carb.I found out how wrong I was putting that thing on a 350.
The reason that carb didn't work well wasn't because it was too big necessarily. The 750 DP Holley #4779 has downleg boosters. I am not a fan of downlegs. If you would have bought a #9379, (the annular discharge 750), it probably would have worked fine.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I honestley do not remember anything but BIGGER IS BETTER at 16 years old.I found it at a junkyard and that was all she wrote.Just like ending up with more bolts at the end of a job.Dumb mistake.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
Nice carb. I once had a 390 Ford and we tried many different carbs. The best was a 750 annular,looked almost just like that one. I was wanting to bid, if it wasn't a 600 I would have...but for a mild 289/302 it's ok(just don't go any bigger than 650):thumbup:

I really like this style Holley(Ford copy strangely enough), and if you guys haven't tried one, well you're missing out.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I would stick with the 500 Edelbrock you have on your motor. But what do I know, I have two 500 cfm four barrel carbs on my 289, but it is not a stock motor either.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
carb choices

Ill stack my 40 plus years of twisting wrenches, street rods, racing, etc over your 27 yrs of age total any day Lucianno.
I speak from experience, many years worth, so dont tell me about real world. You havent been around long enough to know what the real world is.

Luci, one other thing. I have been dealing with Ford engines of all sizes since before you was born. Go play your smak somewhere else.

Take your anal discharge, er, annular discharge elsewhere.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that was fast, thanks all for your imput i've learned alot. i guess i came to conclude to stick with the same one, by just getting a new one... the 289, is stock with a aftermarket Comp cam,( idont know the specs for the cam) anyways exterternally it has a like i said 4 barrrel edlebock carb., edelbrock intake , hedmen headers. MSd igntion, flowmasters, this is like my weekend car, now Another Qs.

is bolting a carb as easy as it sounds unbolt bolts put new carb in with gasket them pour gasline...then adjust??
my knlowgle in the automotive field is Ok... i moslty work on suspension, but i installed my hedders. ignition. those lil things. do you guys think i can do it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that was fast, thanks all for your imput i've learned alot. i guess i came to conclude to stick with the same one, by just getting a new one... the 289, is stock with a aftermarket Comp cam,( idont know the specs for the cam) anyways exterternally it has a like i said 4 barrrel edlebock carb., edelbrock intake , hedmen headers. MSd igntion, flowmasters, this is like my weekend car, now Another Qs.

is bolting a carb as easy as it sounds unbolt bolts put new carb in with gasket them pour gasline...then adjust??
my knlowgle in the automotive field is Ok... i moslty work on suspension, but i installed my hedders. ignition. those lil things. do you guys think i can do it?

thanks
jose

my stang page
http://www.geocities.com/hansie805/main.html

Attachments

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
It is just that easy.Make sure you let the fuel pressure off byCracking the line with a rag under it to catch any fuel that will leak.You can try a small cup but the rag will fit where a cup will not.Make sure all your linkage is undone and moved out of the way.Clean the intake area of old gasket material.If you do it right there is no need for sealer.Do not over torque the stud bolts.Hook up the removed lines and the linkage,you can prime the carb.It may not stay running after the first fire as it empties the bowl,but once the pump gets the fuel to the carb you will be doing fine.

You can do it,you can do it all night loooong

Those rims are sweet.The Mustang is not bad for a Ford either.I do that to my own brother with his Mustang.Yeah,I am picking on him too:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.