Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building 32 Ford replica with a Chevy ZZ502, it came with a Holley Street Avenger 870 cfm 4b. All the posts that I have read about this subject of electric fuel pumps are old.
The Holley fuel pumps seem to have a bad reputation for not lasting, being noisy and faulty fuel regulators. There also seems to be a lot of controversy over fuel delivery for a 500 hsp motor. I am just looking for some fresh feedback for a dependable electric fuel pump for this motor, it will be a driver so I intend to put some miles on it . I am running a 9 inch Ford 3.00 rear end with a manual 6 speed Tremec trans.

Thanks for the help!

·
More for Less Racer
20,110 Posts
Mallory Comp series pumps, and Holley Billet pumps are gearotor style pumps and not noisy like the old style Holley Vane pumps.

Carter electric pumps are quiet and very reliable also.

The noisiest pumps are all vane style pumps, like the inside or a die grinder and because of this design are always going to be noisy.

Aeromotive are nice but are vane style. MagnaFuel is another choice

The Aeromotive A-1000 is completely overkill for a street rod that isn't making 150 mph passes at a drag strip. The HO or SS series pump would be more appropriate.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
OK, let's say the motor makes 500 hp. We know from experience that it takes 0.4 lbs of gasoline per hour to support 1 horsepower. If we multiply 0.4 times 500, we find that to support 500 horsepower for an hour, we would need 200 lbs of gasoline. Since gasoline weighs about 6 pounds per gallon, if we divide 200 by 6, we find that we will need about 34 gallons per hour of fuel delivery to support 500 horsepower.

Remember that this is a carburetor, it is not electronic fuel injection. You cannot run high fuel pressure on a carburetor like you can with EFI, because the spring that controls the fuel inlet at the bowl cannot withstand much over 6 psi, depending on carburetor style and design. Holleys will generally withstand 6 psi without complaint, but other types such as the Carter AFB, Edelbrock Performer and the Rochester Quadrajet will operate much better with a little less pressure, down around 4 1/2 to 5 psi. What the carburetor does need though, particularly at this level of operation, is volume, which means large diameter fuel lines from the pump to the carb. I like a return line system with a pressure control, such as the Mallory shown here.....
https://www.msdperformance.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/parts/29387

As far as mounting a fuel pump that will be outside the tank, I like to use rubber hangers that were meant for exhaust systems to mount the pump to the car. No part of the pump should ever be touching any metal part of the car and there should be 2-3 inches of non-metallic fuel hose leading to and from the pump to hard line to prevent noise into the driver's compartment of the vehicle.

I hope this info will be of help to you in your quest for setting up the fuel delivery system properly......

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, if I was running a competitive car I would think seriously about that pump, it is twice the pump that I need for a 500hsp street car. The H/O looks like a good fit though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that you are right about Aeromotive A-1000 being overkill for my application, The H/O pump would fit my needs, and also the Carter 4600 competition series would work, the specs look good on that one. It would be a rare occasion that the car gets up to 150mph . Thanks for your help

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like good advice, they have 2 H/O pumps, this seems to fit the bill. basic specs= The H/O Fuel Pump is designed for engines making 200-600 HP and is ideal for street cars and mild race cars alike. Similar to our SS Fuel Pump (P/N 11203), but internally regulated to 7 PSI. Fuel flow exceeds 90 GPH at 5 PSI and draws less than 5 amps.
Internally regulated to 7 PSI, eliminating the need for a separate regulator on most carburetors.

Carter has a #4600 competition pump with specs that are pretty close, but does not give a hsp rating?

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses, gave me a few things to think about.

FYI; Chevrolets recommended electric fuel pump for the ZZ 502 is part # 25115899 which looks like a Carter Pump. He also mentioned Holley has an equivalent. This came from the dealer that I bought the crate motor from.# 25115899

·
More for Less Racer
20,110 Posts
If noise is a concern, the Carter pump will be much quieter than the Aeromotive H/O and S/S. The Aeromotives' are vane pumps, and are only moderately quieter than the old style Holley Red, Blue, and Black pumps.
The Aeromotive has a billet aluminum pump section rather than a cast aluminum like the Holley pumps, that may be why is its a skosh quieter.

Mallory Comp series pumps are probably the quietest out there unless you go to an in-tank pump. Carters are probably next after that on the noise list.

The pump GM lists for the engine is made by Carter for GM. It is the same as Carters self branded pumps.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I installed a LOT of Carter pumps when I worked at a marina. VERY good quality.

However, I'll say this: While you're there, make sure your fuel system is CLEAN and check your filters, and replace as necessary. The only carters I had to R&R twice; were from crud in the fuel system wiping out the new pump.

My friends 28 A street rod has a carter pump, it's quieter than the in-tank pump in my 87 Trans Am.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input,

My main concern would be dependability, I'm pretty sure I can buff the noise with some good rubber mounts

I am leaning towards the carter also, the 100 gph should be enough for the occasional 1/4 or 1/2 mile runs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have used a Carter P4600HP but had issues with elevated fuel pressure, switched to Edelbrock 1791, I have been using it for about 3 years and no more fueling issues. Good luck with your choices.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did notice that the pressure was 1psi over what the carb called for, if it started running higher than that it could cause unwanted problems. Thanks for that input, you guys have been a big help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pumps 1791

I went with Edelbrock Quiet-Flo Electric Fuel Pumps 1791, I have had it a year now with no problems.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can you give us a comparison of how it sounds, maybe compared to other external pumps you've heard since then??
I don't notice it in the car with door closed, not at all with the motor running. Its adjustable and I set it to 7 psi.

Had a Holley before, both were mounted on drivers side. The Holley sounded like it was in my ear, drove me nuts.

·
True Hotrodder
1,659 Posts
In this situation the perfect solution is an in-tank pump. Check out Aeromotive's solution for carburetor fed engines - I think you will like it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts