Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
THe best factory exhaust manifolds were the rams horn design, they came on many cars from the 60`s, especially the corvettes. However, if you find any they may not clear the the cross frame under the engine, you`d have to do a trial fit to see.

·
Registered
129 Posts
DoubleVision- That's good to know...I put them on My '49 Chevy Truck because I liked the "old school" look of the ram horns, I didn't know that they flowed better than the rest.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Most were of the 2" variety and reportedly flowed better than the factory "logs". If you can exit straight down, try to find a set of the 'vette 2 1/2" rams. They make a big difference. I have a set on my '67.

Last I saw you could still buy them, new, for about $200. You still see them on EBay, but buying frenzy usually takes them out of sight.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The 2.5"-exit Corvette ram's horns are still available from GM. They're about $130 each.

pn 3797901 left side
pn 3814970 right side

Many full-size cars & pickups from the '60s had ram's horn manifolds, but they were the smaller ones (2" exit). Some had a slight turn-back to clear crossmembers & mounts, etc.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The Block Hugger tube Headers would be another choice. They are of the shorty design and are great in tight engine compartments.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
summit has a set of block huggers for $79. I think that beats the salvage yard price for a used piece. only question is ,will it fit?

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Without actually test fitting them, you would do well to do some measuring in your engine compartment.

Measure how far offset from the center of the 4 exhaust ports to the rear side of your motor mounts are (should be around a couple inches). Then call Summit and find out if the collector is in the exact center of the exhaust ports, add in 1/2 the collector OD and see if it fits in your mount offset measurement.

I think I explained that clearly, I am looking at sbc blueprints right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jimfulco said:
Many full-size cars & pickups from the '60s had ram's horn manifolds, but they were the smaller ones (2" exit). Some had a slight turn-back to clear crossmembers & mounts, etc.
SPECIFICALLY WHICH (non-Corvette) full size cars/pickups from the 60s had ram's horns?

I've never heard of any w/ a 'turn back' - can you provide some specific examples of this?

·
Registered
570 Posts
My 71 gmc 3/4 ton 350 had those,who knows if they are original,a lot can change over 30+ years,something to consider while scavenging. Another thing,the old ones you find may be crystallized,maybe not enough to see,if it were me,I would get a new set and port match em.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I've attached pics of some of the various rams horns out there.

The top is the 2 1/2" Corvette. Next is the standard 2". The bottom two are the turned back ones that were used on trucks and Novas.

You could find them on just about ANY Chevy.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 65 chevy truck came with rams horn from the factory.they exit straight down.the exhaust shop got 2 1/4 pipes on them and then expanded to 2 1/2 to flowmasters. you can buy them from LMC truck for about 150$ a piece.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
Look on page 96 of the Dec 2004 Rod & Custom (on the news stand now), in the Rod Shop section. Speedway Motors (speedwaymotors.com, 402-323-3200) just announced an all new version of the cast iron ram's horn. To new for their web site. Claim is to give the stock hi-po cast iron look with better flow than even the hi-po old 'Vette ones and give block hugging fit for tight engine compartments.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Rams Horns are the best stock manifolds.

Hooker makes full lengths for your car $150. I know, I have a pair on my 86 two door caprice, 350.

They are Jegs part# 520-2451.

They weren't a great fit, but I got them in. Mine cost an extra $180 because they are ceramic coated.

With the headers your alternator bracket, and the large AC/Power Steering bracket won't fit. You have to customize.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
and i just have to remove my drivers' fender to intall. haha or i mean lol..

great example pictures. how much massaging did you have to do. it looks like they dont hang under bad at all. i am impressed and always liked hooker. can you getto your spark plugs ok?

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
haha, no that fender needs replaced so it's off only for that reason. However to get the drivers side header in I had to undo the motor mount and lift it up with my hoist. I also had to modify the brace that hooks to the frame and the control arm.

I did not have to put any bends in the headers to get them in.

I used Bosch plugs, they are about 1/4"-3/8" shorter than the A/C Delcos, and there is plenty of room between the spark plug and the header.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts