Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm on the verge of buying a 385 short block (350 stroked +.010 thou) and a Dyers 6/71 Supercharger.

Some specs on the block.
4 Bolt mains
Bored out .010
Keith Black 11.2 comp pistons (yes I know I need to give these the arse and get a set of low comps)
Chev "X" 5.7 Rods, scat 3.750 stroke, std/std journals
Reciprocating mass balanced
Crow Cam #1694 (suit hi-revving auto)

I need to know what sort of heads would best suit this application - it'll be going into a drag car (approx weight 1200 Kg / 2645 lb).

Flow rates and any real specs or your own figures would help a lot - TIA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
best heads for a blown 385

try 3973487 or 487X heads-big chambers - (lower compression) or the more common heads that are popular are 333882,3927186,or 3998993 . 202/160 is a must for a drag car but all costs considered a set of dart or edelbrock heads may be quicker- a good source is a book by David Lewis/Chevrolet small block V-8 interchange manual and a web site -nastyz28.com . Try to stay away from 305 heads- they have smaller chambers thusly higher compression but the valves have to be really hogged out to the point that it effects the strength of the heads. nastyz28.com has some good casting number charts for id . Add the cost of larger valves-seats-screw in studs-guide plates and compare that to a set of after market heads for cost. the 186's would be my choice because it has a heavy casting .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beaut

Sweet thanks, here in Aus we don't quite have the selection available to you guys in the US, but I'll have a phone around and see what I can turf up.

Thanks for the help. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts