Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys , i have recently purchased a toyota walking foot sewing machine with the intention of doing my own seats for my vauxhall victor project , what size needle would be best for the vinyl , the current needle supplied with the machine which i have no idea what size it is seems to cut the fabric. any help greatly appreciated. cheers ade

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
You should change the needle right away. It's more likely a burred or bent needle. Depending on your machine, you should be able to use anywhere from a size 18 needle to as much as size 24, with the smaller the number the smaller the shaft of the needle. None of them should cut the fabric. If you have a home type sewing machine, it may not be able to handle what you are trying to sew. Also, you only need to be sewing 5 or 6 stitches per inch. Any higher stitch count per inch and you could cut the vinyl.

·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Dan , thanks for the reply ,the machine is an toyota LS2-AD331LP industrial walking foot sewing machine. the needle was new , after reading your thread it points to the stitch length , ive ordered some 19s needles. i will decrease the number of stitches and give it a go. thanks for your advice . regards ade

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Remember, just because a needle is new doesn't mean it didn't get bent or burred somewhere along the way, but changing the needle to a smaller one and increasing the stitch length is a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.