Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dan
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 350 in my 50 Ford is cooled by the stock refurbished radiator and a
constant belt fan. The old radiator is 16 qt with 7lb pressure. Has a 350 turbo trans with oil cooler mounted in front of radiator. No other accessories. Its gets up to at least 210 and loses coolant when I shut it down. This is a new build. Is this system gonna cool this beast? In Texas?
Dan

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
The original engine in that 50 ford probably made 100 hp, so even if you have a mild 350, you're now trying to cool 200 hp with a stock radiator. I think the weak point is going to be the stock radiator. Just not enough cooling there.

Put a good cross flow radiator in there with a shroud for the fan and you'll be fine.

In answer to the title question, I like to use 195 stats with 15 lb caps. 180 is fine, but engines are happier when hot... provided they're not overheating.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have heard the best power in a sbc is at 200 degrees. It sounds like you will need to redo your cooling system. I had a very similar setup on my Studebaker and had tons of problems. Your radiator cannot hold enough pressure to raise the boiling point of the water, it is an exercise in futility to try and use it. Go with an aluminum crossflow from summit or something (they are cheap) and use a fan shroud. I would stay away from electric fans unless you have clearance problems. My electric fans never seemed to get it done. It is a lot of work but it will do the job and you will like to drive more. I also use a 195 thermostat, runs much cooler than with a 180 or a 160. Your radiator cannot hold enough pressure to raise the boiling point of the water, it is an exercise in futility to try and use it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.