Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions on the best way to protect House of Kolor black base/clear from damage from bird droppings and contaminants. This is on a show paint job. It has been color sanded and polished to perfection using Menzurna polishes. I tried a protectant called Jescar (menzerna) Power Lock Polymer Sealant PLUS 16oz (New Formula!), but I live in an area with seagulls and at an outdoor show got crapped on and it etched the paint to the point I had to polish it out. I haven't used any waxes on it at this point, but wondering if that be the best thing to protect it. I've read up on the new ceramic coatings, but not convinced, as I'm worried about swirl marks etc. What have you used to protect paint from seagulls and crows etc? Thanks, Bill

Attachments

·
True Hotrodder
1,327 Posts
Protective waxing is always a good idea.

But get yourself a car cover - a good one - pronto.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Protective waxing is always a good idea.

But get yourself a car cover - a good one - pronto.
The car is always inside when not in use. I have indoor and outdoor covers, but are not too appropriate at outdoor car shows :mwink:

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
995 Posts
3M car wax, paste, hand applied & removed. The dance, do a fender, thin coat, so as it drys quickly.

What I am trying to get across and mean by thin.

You start at the front 1/2 of fender, by the time you get some wax applied too the back half. The front is ready to buff out, by the time you get that buff out the back half will be ready.

Thin also means when dry, a HAZE not heavy white look.

Waxing a car does not mean covering the whole car. With wax, sit under a tree drinking a beer. Waiting for the wax to flash or dry before buffing.

It is a steady dance apply, move to the next spot apply, go back buff. Once you get rolling you will find you will be covering the next area to be waxed, As the last spot flashes and becomes ready to buff.

After the car is done, go back with a clean cloth and go over the car again, removing seen and unseen wax residue.

3M is a good lasting wax, keeping the paint slick, wax keeps crap from bonding to the surface.

All these quickie, fad waxes do not have the staying power of the 3M.

Car covers all of them, get ANY dirt, sand, or salt in them scratches will magically appear. Really no good way to keep a big cover like that free form dirt & grit.

Not to mention just throwing one on an unwashed; just driven car will not turn out well
pep

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Zaino

You need to start with a polished surface as it will enhance swirl marks on deep black paint.

Once you get it down though you will be able to remove bird gunk with a microfiber towel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Try looking at Nano ceramic coating products. Best stuff out there.

303 is popular, but I am sure if you look around you will find something better

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts